Can beard be used for "filler" even if donor area on scalp is depleted?

Hi everyone,

I'm missing ONE piece of information to move forward and make a decision.

I'm close to committing to a 2nd FUT with Dr. Rahal in order to put as much hair in my vertex area as possible, but it likely wont be enough for a nice illusion of density unless I get SMP or beard filler added later. But those options are icing on the cake and I have to get the hair transplanted first.

I know some surgeons will combine scalp donor with beard donor during their FUE procedure, but since I can yield more grafts from an FUT and it's less expensive, I'm really tempted to do that in order to maximize my harvest from the scalp. But I want to make sure that if this FUT leaves no more donor hair available on my scalp (which cannot be predicted for sure), that an FUE surgeon would be able to do a "beard filler only" FUE session.

Does anyone know the answer to this question? Can any surgeon here comment?

Beard hair can have variable results both in terms of visual compatibility and yield. I would never recommend beard grafts in a high visual impact area like the hairline however your crown is probably the best area to use this type of donor as a last resort or mix.

But I would approach using beard donor with a smaller session to see how it both looks and regrows before committing to any large numbers.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

starr,

Beard hair can be an excellent source of "filler" hair once you have exhausted all of your available donor hair. Gillenator is correct that you will never want to use it in a highly visible area such as the hairline. Beard hair is still very unpredictable in its yield and in its overall "value" in the final result. In my personal experience, I have found some patients to have had as low as 50% yield with the use of beard hair and as high as possibly 80% in others. Also, some people have very fine beard hair while others have very coarse hair. Even further still, most beard hair grafts contain only single hairs. Some men I have seen have a higher percentage of 2 - haired grafts. You can imagine that more 2 haired grafts might give better coverage than single haired grafts.

I agree, that FUT right now is your best bet to obtain a large number of grafts for your next procedure. You will have to be evaluated by a surgeon for your candidacy for beard transplant. How good of a candidate will depend on the above items I discussed. If you are able to use beard and you do get a good yield, the total number of grafts available range anywhere from 400 - 1000+. You can only get those totals with multiple sessions.

That was the long answer. The short answer is that you should have your beard evaluated by a doc before you make any decisions.

If you are able to use beard and you do get a good yield, the total number of grafts available range anywhere from 400 - 1000+. You can only get those totals with multiple sessions.

That was the long answer. The short answer is that you should have your beard evaluated by a doc before you make any decisions.

1. Is there a reason why I would "not" be able to use beard if I've got plenty in my neck?

2. Can multiple sessions be carried out in consecutive days?

Its going to be hard to be evaluated "in person" by a doc that does beard FUE as the only one in my area is Dr. Jones and we all know his reputation. Dr, Rahal, although he does not do beard, did look at it (visually) and mentioned Dr. Umar. Would that opinion suffice? My upcoming consult with Dr. Wesley will also be only visual since it's over Skype.

Other than that, as long as I know a "beard only" session can be done IF god forbid, I run out of donor scalp, then I can go ahead and book my 2nd FUT before the end of 2015 so that by this time next year I can have an idea of where I stand once most of my scalp donor has been moved.

Beard donor was being hyped in the hair loss communities not long ago and many individuals were stating they were having it done yet very few if any have come back to show any results.

My premonition is that both the yield and aesthetic expectations were not very good and why it has to be approached as a last resort and always with a test session to see how any individual will respond.

It's not that I am against using beard donor but only in special circumstances like scar repair and as a last resort. Beard donor appears unpredictable like other forms of BH.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY