Considering SMP...will this work with my hair that already exists?

So here's my situation: I live in Rochester, NY and was considering SMP. I have a bunch of hair, and wear my hair real short anyways (like a 6 on top and a 1 on the sides and back). Do you think this would work with the length I keep my hair? On the site of the place I was looking at, Scalp Aesthetics (The best scalp micropigmentation on the planet | Scalp Aesthetics <-by the way I just pasted the URL, that description automatically appeared), most are shaved head but there are also a bunch of people who have longer hair and use SMP to achieve the look of increased density. My hairline hasn't receded at all, so I don't have to worry about the sometimes artificial looking SMP hairline.

However, I was also considering an FUE or some sort of non-scarring hair transplant (not going to Dr. Quatela here in town after what I've read about him on here). So, if I get SMP work done, does that jeopardize my ability to get a HT in the future? Will they still be able to transplant in the area where SMP has been done? Will this make it harder to get a HT in any way? Also, what is the advantage of temporary SMP over permanent SMP? Also, does anyone have any info about Scalp Aesthetics? They have a pretty extensive gallery which looks pretty good, especially for what I want done., but I read about a guy whose ink turned blue. Here's the link to that: (Link removed by moderator)

Sorry for so many questions, just considering a bunch of things and have a lot of confusion and thoughts running through my brain at the moment!

Lastly, fyi I am 27 amd halted/greatly slowed my hair loss with procerin, so if anyone has any thoughts or insight on procedures that may be beneficial to me and can get me back to thicker hair, please let me know!

5b32e5ab8ab99_Photoon2015-04-10at16_144.jpg.772df0c996d8e2719505f5ceca06dc79.jpg

5b32e5aba0345_Photoon2015-04-10at16_145.jpg.a2e2ab0f2f483454a1144a52e315368f.jpg

5b32e5abbab76_Photoon2015-04-10at16_132.jpg.bbcc3d89f46974b1400bc9001244e95b.jpg

Edited by David - Moderator
Needed to add more.

I would say that your existing hair would definitely benefit you if you have smp. If you have the permanent however, you will still have to buzz your hair to the length of a '1' guard (1/8th of an inch) which would be shorter than in your pics. The temporary smp can go much heavier with the ink b/c it will fade and this could work (IMO) with your existing hair, but it will fade and you will have to have it redone.

Concerning HT's I do not have a great amount of info, sorry, but that may be a great route to explore given your hairline is still in tact and good amount of remaining hair.

I do not know much about Scalp Aesthetics, but be VERY CAREFUL WITH REVIEWS ON FORUMS (especially the negative ones) b/c many of the "testimonies" claiming blue and all the horror story stuff, is just mudslinging from competitors. If you are interested in S.A. it is best to set up a personal consultation with them. Good luck to you

.... you will still have to buzz your hair to the length of a '1' guard (1/8th of an inch) which would be shorter than in your pics.

Bald Ken

How so?

As long as he has not got a shiney bald patch with no hair on it whatsoever.

I grow my hair as long as I like and SMP still provides an enormous benefit.

Unless you mean for the purposes of the transplant itself.

To the OP

I didn't blow up your pics but judging from the thumbnails I'd say you could have long hair, with SMP but it is essential to have some hair.

You can transplant over the SMP and the transplanted follicles are unaffected, however transplanting on a fresh SMP hairline isn't recommended because the ink can move according to my sources and personal experience. Another reason to wait is to let the SMP tone settle so that the HT doc(hopefully) can make a better call on the required density.

Also, as I always say, keep an exit strategy in mind. With a good permanent but soft SMP tone you might just end up buzzing it down one day in the future.

As for the blue stuff, yes, a grayish hue is noticeable under certain light conditions but it is also possible to be too picky. Your overall perceived hairtone will change slightly too.

By all means consider temp, but it won't do you much and will be tricky to plan an HT over.

Thanks for the insight guys, I really appreciate it. Scar5, you said you had permanent smp done? And you're very happy with your results and can have longer hair? If so, please take a look at their gallery and tell me what you think. It looks like they do pretty good work, especially filling in with those with longer hair. And if you think the possibility of a slight blue-ish tone wouldnt be noticeable?

Also, if I was to consider a hair transplant in the future after SMP, it wouldn't be for months and months probably.

Scar, do you have any before and after pics of yourself from the smp surgery if in fact you did get it done? Would love to see first hand some results, and not just faceless pics on a clinic's website..

Lastly, why do you say "consider temp" but then say "it won't do you much and will be tricky to plan an HT over", when it sounds to me like you're advocating for perm smp? Why would temp be detrimental? Just because the doc will have trouble knowing where to place because it temporarily looks like there is hair in certain areas?

Again, sorry for so many questions, just a lot going on in my head!

Edited by bilbobaggins

- temp is constantly changing and very fragile. It is safe though. You could try once and check, but..

- permanent tone base gives you something to plan the ht with or try out different hair lengths

- I'm not advocating either particularly because SMP is still a dodgy industry imo- but it has helped me

- my results are far from perfect. Don't like hairline, blotches, silver hue.

- do like how it has blended areas, covered pink and white scarring due to extraction holes of badly angled micro grafts.

- love what does for my buzzed head, but scarring and poor hairline mean I grow at present, and look better. Still I wish I could buzz it completely one day but scars are not smooth and must say the longer look works well for people's perceptions of me. I was positively ugly shaved, but liked it somehow. (Possibly a mental hangout?)

- I appreciatte you wanna see pics. Sorry but I'm not feeling like much of that. You are perfectly right to doubt me!!

- if you feel doubtful, then perhaps do the temp first, but don't get hooked in by them.

I appreciate your answers, Scar. I'm guess not really sure why you are so opposed to posting anonymous pics, even if its just in a private message to me, but hey who am I to judge, especially if you aren't feeling particularly confident about them. I get that, and have been there. It was only recently I was able to get up the nerve to post mine, because hey what do I care? We're all here for the same purpose, and to provide support for each other.

Thanks again for your responses, though! They have given me some insight into the process.

Hi Bilbo,

If you'd like contact me via PM and we can do a consult via phone or Skype to discuss if SMP is a viable option for you.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Bilbo,

Just ignoring Hairthere's spam for a minute.

You know what. I rarely post pics. My profile is empty, and sometimes I wonder, why shouldn't I just give it all away. (And in a way, I already have anyway)

On this very forum there was a guy who persistently PM'd me for details about names and clinics. I made it extremely clear that he was very lucky to get my news and he should respect my views about maintaining privacy on these forums. NOt dissing on testimonies, but once you show your colors, you have only two choices IMO, to say 'Totally awesome experience' or the opposite. Anyway, cut a long story short, this guy kept saying, "we are all in the same boat" I just need to know a and b.

It didn't take him long to shit all over me. In another forum, I popped up to comment once, and he immediately replied on teh open forum , I "I know you went to Dr so and so, etc"

I was being real, offering real advice based on real experience, and that little c&'K sucker who I helped, just blew me out.

That is the way it goes. So I am shy.

Scar5, Bilbo asked me a question on another thread that I just saw:

"Hi hairthere, I have a question and maybe you can answer for me. I live in Rochester, NY and was considering SMP. I have a bunch of hair, and wear my hair real short anyways (like a 6 on top and a 1 on the sides and back). However, I was also considering a hair transplant (not going to Dr. Quatela here in town after what I've read about him on here). So, if I get SMP work done, does that jeopardize my ability to get a HT in the future? Also, what is the advantage of temporary SMP over permanent SMP?"

So how am I spamming exactly?

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Hairthere,

You could have PM'd him. You are advertising. Fair play to you and good luck with your business! I am excited for you, and I hope one day, that I can make my own business too.

Now now, gents, play nice. I did ask him that question, and he did also PM me. Anyways, scar I get it. I wasn't gonna put you on blast or anything like that, nor ever reference you on this forum or any other site. Just curious to see your results, esp being someone who got SMP with longer hair. And I don't think it has to at all be "loved it" or "hated it" when it comes to SMP. But I respect your privacy and decisions.

@ Bilbobaggins: I have had permanent smp done, and I have about the same remaining hair as you do. I have tried growing my hair to about a quarter of an inch and while i agree with scar 5 that the smp provides some benefit, the longer hair really hides it and it does not look its best at that length. I have personally seen guys try to grow their hair longer than a one guard length with smp, and just to be perfectly honest, it did not look very good either. THE IDEA OF PERMANENT SMP IS TO REPLICATE HAIR FOLLICLES, NOT HAIRS (although i have seen some clinics trying the 3d thing) AND SMP DOTS WILL BLEND WITH YOUR NATURAL HAIR FOLLICLES WHEN THEY ARE CUT VERY SHORT B/C HAIR IS 3D, SMP DOTS ARE 2D, HOW WOULD THIS WORK??

Also, when your have HTs this creates scar tissue, and the ink is VERY UNPREDICTABLE when applied to scar tissue: there is a greater chance of color change to blue and pigment migration. If you have not had hts and are interested in smp I would advise against one or the other.

Temporary smp allows the technician to apply the ink much more liberally and denser than permanent. The reason for this is that it will slowly fade and the possibility of pigment migration and color change are minimized, and the potential consequences are less severe b/c it is temporary and you wont have to live with it forever.

I know that this information is not what you want to hear, BUT BE VERY CAREFUL WITH CLINICS WHO PROMISE YOU THAT YOUR HAIR LENGTH IN THE PHOTOS WILL BLEND WITH SMP DOTS: IT WONT! SORRY.There are so many more variables to smp that are not discussed and you need to understand that.

AS FAR AS SPAMMING AND ADVERTISING FOR CLINICS ON THESE FORUMS, IT IS NOTHING NEW AND ID SAY THAT THIS IS THE MAIN REASON I DO NOT POST MUCH ANYMORE. YOU THINK YOU ARE SPEAKING TO AN ACTUAL PERSON WHO IS INTERESTED IN SMP BUT YOU IN FACT ARE SPEAKING WITH A COMMISSION WHORE.

good luck

BaldKen,

My experience is that SMP looks poor at certain lengths, but once you grow through the bad zone, it is fine.

But my case maybe different. My SMP is light. My 'dots' are not really visible, even when buzzed. It is just a vague grey hue. If you put some magnification on, you can see distinct dots.

I don't know whether this is ideal or not, but it means I am fine as long as I grow through the grade 2 and 3 length.

I agree about the scar stuff. I have pounded my strip scars with various SMP over the years (as well as lasered it) in a bid not match the scars and patches of it are blueish.

But it is not a deal killer. It is the indented nature of strip scars and the changing plane of skin where the scars join that screw me.

I don't mind hairthere and I like his comments. Of course he is running a business and if he couldn't come here and do it, there would be no forum and I'd have to find something useful to do in my life. :confused:

BaldKen,

My experience is that SMP looks poor at certain lengths, but once you grow through the bad zone, it is fine.

But my case maybe different. My SMP is light. My 'dots' are not really visible, even when buzzed. It is just a vague grey hue. If you put some magnification on, you can see distinct dots.

I don't know whether this is ideal or not, but it means I am fine as long as I grow through the grade 2 and 3 length.

I agree about the scar stuff. I have pounded my strip scars with various SMP over the years (as well as lasered it) in a bid not match the scars and patches of it are blueish.

But it is not a deal killer. It is the indented nature of strip scars and the changing plane of skin where the scars join that screw me.

I don't mind hairthere and I like his comments. Of course he is running a business and if he couldn't come here and do it, there would be no forum and I'd have to find something useful to do in my life. :confused:

Yes, i suppose you are right Scar, we are all different and have our own situations based on our skin, immune systems, ht background, and different clinics who administered the smp. You may look better with SMP and longer hair than I do, or we just may have different opinions on what we like. If this kid can get permanent SMP and keep his hair at that length I think that would be awesome and I would really like to see his results. Being that he is from Rochester I would try HEADSTRONG, b/c Matt Lulo is the Real Deal based on all the glowing reviews on the His Hair Forum.

As far as the advertising, I have no issue with Hairthere or Matt, or Nicole, b/c they are very up front and honest about who they represent and we all gotta make a dollar in this world. The members who do the undercover thing that i take issue with.

I can vouch with what baldken says. I had mine at Headstrong and it all went very well. When i was viewing matt's website i saw a couple of photos of guys with longer hair being treated, both in scars and on top. So maybe it can work on the right client. im not that lucky to have any realy hair left so short it is for me, which im ok with now after getting a hairline and color back.

i like that people are finding new ways to apply SMP and make it work for different cases.