accutane after hair transplant surgery clairification

hello, if i could get clarification on this issue im having, it would be very helpful

i have already been on accutane many years ago on a heavy dosage and did fine. i did not have hair loss which i have heard is one of the huge side effects for some people.

i had an eyebrow transplant about two months ago and my strip incision is healed now with no open wound.

im having really bad skin problems and want to go on some more accutane and from what ive researched, doctors vaguely state that i should wait until the full sprouting of the transplants to proceed...so at least 6-12 months. they dont really go into too much detail except because it will inhibit healing but since my donor area is already healed, what other issue might i be looking at? less grafts? hair not sprouting properly? more time taken for hair to come out but still same quality? etc.

my skin is driving me into desperation and i want to control my acne asap but if the accutane is going to reduce my graft survival rate then ill be okay with waiting until all the hairs have sprouted. if its just a matter of the grafted hairs taking longer to sprout, but still ultimately all coming forth in survival in the amount that was expected if i were to not take accutane, then thats a different story...which is why i know what kind of "issues" i might be dealing with if i were to jump on medication.

if the normally high dose of accutane is not appropriate, would it be much less riskier if i did a really really low dose accutane at the moment to at least keep my skin from worsening until all my grafts have sprouted, then turn up the notch once im in the safety zone?

im also on finasteride and wil be asking my own hair transplant doctor as wel of course

thanks for any informed clarifications.

Hi - unfortunately I don't have any answers for you. You say you've asked your HT doc and that really is the best thing you could do, just await their response and follow their advice.

Dependant upon the advise given re: accutane and the HT, could you consider a different acne treatment?

It would be great if you could both update this thread with your doctor's response and also provide the links from the research that you did.

Good luck.

abaldcamper,

Accutane has multiple side-effects which you are undoubtedly already aware of. IMHO, my thoughts are that this medication might potentially affect the regrowth period of your grafts. This may be one of the reasons why the other doctors are suggesting that you wait until your procedure matures. The good thing is that you have healed from the procedure.

The tough thing is that there are so many varying opinions on the use of Accutane that possibly it's better to take the safe route of waiting and trying a different acne medication in the short term.

It certainly would not hurt to get as many opinions as possible. Hopefully some of them will start to be in agreement rather than adverse to one another.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

DO NOT GO ON ACCUTANE FOR AT LEAST 6 MONTHS

to be safe wait the year out

for the acne do a 6-9 month course of Doxycycline 100mg BID then taper to 100mg then 40mg

that will clear you up

the doxy will work much better for you since you already has a course of Accutane

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I'd be careful with the Accutane. I had really bad acne in high school and went on a heavy dose when I was 19 (35 now). It knocked out the acne cold....but I really wonder if that contributed to starting my hair loss. It couldn't have helped. I think that stuff was fairly newer at the time.