Whey Protein shakes & creatine supplements causing hair loss (MPB)

jimmygea

There is a lot of debate on the internet relating to the use of protein drinks and supplements causing MPB. However, I am not at all convinced in any of these claims or in fact if there is any proven scientific truth from any of these studies. It would be virtually impossible to conduct reliable study as you would have to have 100 men all the same age, eating the same food, doing the same job, the same level of fitness etc etc to reliably establish if there exists a link between Protein shakes & creatine supplements that cause hair loss.

My own personnel thoughts are based on the following: I am an identical twin (monozygotic) and I have been consuming Protein drinks and taking creatine supplements on and off (3 drinks per day – 2 x Maxi Promax Lean & 1 x Maxi Cyclone) for several years and I am also a serious gym goer (2 hours per day at least 6 days per week), however, my identical twin has never taken protein shakes or creatine supplements and although he does go to the gym he is not as fanatical about it as myself. However, we both have an identical hairline!!!, subsequently I am sceptical that these sports nutrition have any impact MPB is all down to your genetic makeup. Has anyone any different thoughts on this subject or aware of any definite proof of this hair loss link?

I have attached a couple of photos, I am the twin in the black t-shirt and my twin brother has the blue t-shirt

Jim4.jpg.f6777b15c4bce2708f11ea99c214ffb8.jpg

Rob3.jpg.92410b3d1c2ff84160fe3e12183cb22e.jpg

I agree with you Jimmy, its all load of cr8p. I don’t believe protein drinks and supplement can cause hair loss. I’m also taking protein drinks after my gym workout...2 on training day and 1 on off day. Your hair needs good diet and nutrition to grow well and protein is one of the main factors for hair growth. I’ve changed my gym workout, I’m trying to do more cardio and don’t go too heavy on the weights.

You both need alot of grafts on the front scalp with that hairline...3000 + grafts?

If creatine works in changing muscle mass and definition it works through changes to the hormone mix. Hormones regulate muscle growth, fat accumulation etc. There is no question that test levels rise after workouts, so there is one change. Creatine intake has been scientifically proven to change CONVERSION of test to DHT too.

The South African Rugby Study

Results: After 7 days of creatine loading, or a further 14 days of creatine maintenance dose, serum T levels did not change. However, levels of DHT increased by 56% after 7 days of creatine loading and remained 40% above baseline after 14 days maintenance (P < 0.001). The ratio of DHT:T also increased by 36% after 7 days creatine supplementation and remained elevated by 22% after the maintenance dose (P < 0.01).

Conclusions: Creatine supplementation may, in part, act through an increased rate of conversion of T to DHT. Further investigation is warranted as a result of the high frequency of individuals using creatine supplementation and the long-term safety of alterations in circulating androgen composition.

Edited by scar5
t to dht conversion and evidence

There are so many variables that exist within the body that can effect hormonal changes and DHT levels and I presume that it maybe possible that some will be more susceptible to these supplements and changes to DHT levels than others.

Just curious as stated above if it was clear cut then my hairline would be further receded as opposed to my identical twin who has never taken any sport supplements!