Which drugs

Anthro

Thinking about starting taking some hair loss drugs. I'm not 100% sure what. Is rogaine foam minoxidil?

And can propecia cause permanent side effect problems?

Is that the 2 most popular?

Any help really Appreciated

• 1 month later...

Minoxidil is the active element of Rogaine.

Propecia (finasteride) is the most effective hair loss treatment. You shouldn't worry about the side effects, as only 2% of men do experience sides. Moreover, these are temporar and disappear with some time. Your body just need some time to adjust to this medication.

I stopped taking propecia and my hair is falling out again, propecia works in keeping your hair on the top but it doesnt do anything for the receding hairline, just maintains the hair.

But the side effects were horrid. I had deep depression, super low libido, insomnia, and forgetfulness. and I only to 1.25 mg every other day.

It took many months after going off the stuff to finally get a woody in the morning again, i am happier, my insomnia is getting better, and i can get horny again.

But Propecia is the only thing that really works for stopping hair loss, if I do decide to try it again ill just get the propeccia instead of proscar, and cut the propecia in half and take one half every day.

Rogaine and minoxidil are the fertilizer if you will. The company promotes use of twice daily but if you look at the peak effect it is at 22 hours so once a day is fine. But it does not inhibit DHT, it only promotes hair that is resting to enter the growing phase ie fertilizer..... Proecia inhibits the conversion of testosterone to DHT. Sorry you were in small percent that did have an issue. Peak effect for this medication is at 72 hours so if you could even do 1/2 twice a week or even once there would be some effect. But, both of these products work on all areas. They do help to preserve the hairline. It is FDA mandate that if they want to promote this they would have to redo the billion dollar studies so they only say it works in the crown where it was tested. There is some evidence that topical caffeine products can also help. Hair Surge shampoo by Ultax labs has a lot of good ingredients and is one option. It can be ordered off the Internet. Another is Alpecian solution. It is not a shampoo. The supplement MSM seems to have some positive effects on hair. Ketaconazole shampoo and also even Head And Shoulders with Zinc have good properties and can help with scalp health.

Ailene Russell, NCMA

Clinical Supervisor for Dr. Jerry Cooley

Carolina Dermatology Haircenter

Charlotte, NC

Rogaine and minoxidil are the fertilizer if you will. The company promotes use of twice daily but if you look at the peak effect it is at 22 hours so once a day is fine. But it does not inhibit DHT, it only promotes hair that is resting to enter the growing phase ie fertilizer..... Proecia inhibits the conversion of testosterone to DHT. Sorry you were in small percent that did have an issue. Peak effect for this medication is at 72 hours so if you could even do 1/2 twice a week or even once there would be some effect. But, both of these products work on all areas. They do help to preserve the hairline. It is FDA mandate that if they want to promote this they would have to redo the billion dollar studies so they only say it works in the crown where it was tested. There is some evidence that topical caffeine products can also help. Hair Surge shampoo by Ultax labs has a lot of good ingredients and is one option. It can be ordered off the Internet. Another is Alpecian solution. It is not a shampoo. The supplement MSM seems to have some positive effects on hair. Ketaconazole shampoo and also even Head And Shoulders with Zinc have good properties and can help with scalp health.

Excellent point regarding the study and how they only focused on the crown, which is why it is technically only promoted as working on the crown. But the science behind why it is effective on the hairs in the crown area is just as applicable to hairs in the front as well. There should be no difference.

Anthro - I wouldn't worry too much about the side effects. Not only are they extremely rare, but should you experience them, you can always stop the medication and they will subside. Furthermore, due to the nature of the side effects most commonly associated with Finasteride being sexual, I believe a lot of these reported side effects are "mental". Any type of stress in our lives can lead to low libido, ED, etc. and many times, just the thought/fear of those things happening is just enough to actually cause those things to happen. Our minds are very powerful. Granted, I'm sure there are people who do genuinely experience the side effects, and I'm not discrediting their experiences. But there is a lot to be said for the power of suggestion.

Look at the WebMD phenomenon, for example. How many times do any of us go on WebMD looking for an explanation for whatever symptom we're experiencing, and within 20 minutes of "research" we've recognized 15 other symptoms we weren't aware of before and diagnosed ourselves with at least a handful of possible ailments before finally settling on the one that is probably the most fatal, only to go to the doctor and have him tell us that we simply have a cold as he then forbids us from ever using WebMD again... (Just me? :cool: )

The point I'm attempting to make is this: Try it out and try not to even think about any potential side effects. Chances are you'll be fine.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Thanks guys, very helpful. The only thing is where to buy it, can i just go to my doctor and the chemist or buy online somewhere?

The Rogaine/Minoxidil you can just buy at your local drugstore. I get a prescription for Finasteride from my doctor - and the generic is pretty cheap. I get a 4 months supply for under $10. I think some guys buy it online, but I'm not familiar with how that works. I think the safest bet is to get a prescription from your doc.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Are you serious? 120 pills at $10?

:eek:

He is the USA but your in the UK I'm dam sure they will rip you a new axxhole there.

For sample I here Dr Reddy there in the UK charge something like 200.00 UKPounds for a year supply which is just crazy for what we pay in the states for same.

Best find a good online store & order gen Fin.

They don't call it RIP OFF BRITAIN for nothing do they?

Edited by ontop
edit

Are you serious? 120 pills at $10?

:eek:

Haha. Not quite. I should've clarified... I get 30 pills for under $10, but I get the 5mg and cut them into quarters. It's a shortcut that allows you to get more bang for your buck. So essentially, the one prescription lasts me about 4 months.

A lot of quality information has been given here regarding the medical hair loss treatments Propecia (finasteride) and Rogaine (minoxidil). These two clinically proven and FDA approved drugs should be part of any man's hair loss regimen if possible.

Rogaine is a vasodilator that increases blood flow to the scalp and helps miniaturized hair follicles to become longer, darker and thicker in diameter. Propecia inhibits the conversion of testosterone to DHT which is the culprit responsible for male pattern baldness.

Minoxidil should be available in most countries with no prescription. Here in the US we can buy it in the supermarket. However, finasteride requires a prescription.

Lots of guys take advantage of the cost savings of purchasing 5mg generic Proscar and quartering it. This results in a 1.25mg dose as compared to Propecia's 1mg but the extra .25 should be negligible in terms of increased side effects. If you do experience side effects, simply try alternating days rather than taking the meds daily.

An effective hair loss regimen should include the combination of a vasodilator and DHT inhibitor. If finasteride is out of the question, there are some credible natural/herbal alternatives that, while not as effective, may be better than just doing nothing. Check out our online hair loss treatments shop for some of the great products.

Edited by David - Moderator

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

• 3 weeks later...
Haha. Not quite. I should've clarified... I get 30 pills for under $10, but I get the 5mg and cut them into quarters. It's a shortcut that allows you to get more bang for your buck. So essentially, the one prescription lasts me about 4 months.

It is a good way to save money, however I prefer to take 1 mg of generic fin as a whole tablet.