BHT(Beard and Hair transplant)

Hi everyone.I have just a query.I had 2 FUT/strip surgeries done afew years ago which weren't successful.Not only were they not successful i was left badly scarred.I have read about BHT where facial hair (beard hair) can be used to fill in the scars,as best as possible, which were caused by the strip hairtransplants.I have read about a Doctor Jose Lorenzo in Madrid who performs BHT procedure.I have read alot of good things about Dr Lorenzo,how good an FUE hair transplant surgeon he is.People on the hair network forum seem to speak very highly of him.I am thinking of going to see Dr Lorenzo to enquiry about BHT and see if he can do anything about filling in my scars.I am just wondering if anybody out there had BHT performed on them by Dr Lorenzo and if they were happy with the procedure.My big concern with BHT is because of the hairs being taken from the beard area,will there be patches or traces of alopecia left on my face.Would i have to have my face constantly shaved so as to prevent this patchy appearance.Also is there any scarring left on the face both short term or long term after the hairs have been removed from the face.It has been a dissappointing few years,as i mentioned the strip surgeries were not successful,and on top of that the strip surgeries have left a numbing sensation in the back of my head to this day.So unfortunately things haven't been great.I would be grateful if anybody who has had BHT performed by Dr Lorenzo, if they could reply and let me know if they were happy with the procedure and if their face is not patchy( for want of a better word) months or so after the procedure.

Thanks

Edited by Rebels1
Unfinished title

Have a look at Peperoni case where Dr Lorenzo used a lot of beard grafts.

Dr Lorenzo work is outstanding. I would say that he is one of the best FUE Dr and he is also using beard hair successfully.

Regarding beard hair transplant, you can be sure that there is no scaring at all, actually face healing is much better and faster than scalp healing.

You will not have either a patchy appearance unless you have a very low density beard.

There are also some other Drs who perform sucessfully this kind of repair job like Mwamba, Bisanga, Umar. These are also Top Surgeons with outstanding results and repair cases. Just do your research.

Edited by David - Moderator

Rebels,

BHT can leave scarring in the extracted regions. This means scarring in the beard region if grafts are taken from this region. Most BHT experts are aware of this and will extract accordingly. Grafts are taken from less visible regions of the head and neck (IE under the chin). A reasonable number of grafts are taken to reduce scarring as well.

There will still be scarring, even with these precautions taken. It is usually minimal, but it will be there.

Have you looked at any of the BHT results from surgeons, like Dr. Umar, who do a lot of body hair procedures? This may give you a better idea of what to expect.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Thanks for the info Blake.Slightly worried.I would hate to think that there would be scarring on the face after removing of the beard hair.As you have mentioned,it might be best to have the hair follicles or grafts removed from under the chin as opposed from the face.I have seen youtube clips of BHT procedures from Dr Umar.He had filled in the scarring area very well.He does seem to take the follicles from under the chin.I have seen clips of over surgeons and they too take the follicles from under the chin.Really need to get this right.If i go and see Dr Lorenzo i will mention this to him.

Thanks Blake.

Thanks for that Tamagochihandler.I heard that Dr Lorenzo performs scar repair using BHT but I will also check out these other surgeons.I am just abit nervous about the BHT, but it would be great to be able to improve the appearance of my scarring.But I will do more research into it.Again thanks.

Rebels,

Yeah, I think it's important to understand there will be scarring. The FUE method minimizes scarring, but does not eliminate it. If you examine the extraction area closely, you will see hypopigmented (light skinned), circular scarring. This may not be a deal breaker for you if it's taken under the chin. You should be fully aware, however, that there will be scarring to some extend regardless of where or how it's taken.

I think the best way to do this is by seeing a surgeon with a LOT of BHT experience.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

My experience with beard hair transplant is that there is NO SCARING AT ALL, absolutely nothing. While I have typical micro white dots on scalp from fue my face is absolutely clean.

I have also seen several people who had beard hair transplant because I had same concern as you and I tell you that they had the same clean face without any trace of scars. Also Drs who perform this technique know that this is the general rule for most of people. Face heals better than scalp and much faster!.

Regarding Patchy look, this will not happen either because they will distribute extractions as they do when they work on scalp, this is considering that you have a normal density beard. Scenerio will be different if you have very low density beard but then most likely you will not be a candidate for this technique.

My advice would be as usual: just make sure you choose a Top Fue Doctor with also experience in beard hair transplant.

Again thanks for that Tamagochihandler.I didn't realise you had BHT performed on you.I take it you were happy with your results and minimal scarring,if any.Looks like you didn't have any scarring,(which is great).Did you use the BHT follicles/grafts to fill in FUT strip scarring from a previous FUT hairtransplant procedure?Would you mind if I asked you what Doctor performed the BHT procedure on you.Thanks for that.

Hopefully EJ will see this thread as he has had extensive beard hair work with Dr Bisanga. I have met him he looks great.

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

That's great Garageland.There seems to be some really good doctors out there who perform this type of procedure.And most importantly who seem to be really good at it.Doctors Lorenzo and Bisanga seem to be very popular with this type of procedure which is great to hear.