Protecting Grafts While Sleeping!

I know this has been addressed and I've already read this recommended link: How Can I Sleep Comfortably and Still Protect the Grafts After Hair Transplantation? | Hair Loss Q & A., which goes into helping keep your head from tossing and turning, but our hands could still potentially touch our heads.

I plan on getting a HT soon and the last thing I want to do is scratch or even touch my grafts while I sleep. I tend to roll around and the last thing I want is to wake up with a bloody pillow full of grafts:(

Does it make sense to sleep with some sort of helmet on or am I being ridiculous?

I know some babies have to do it (see photo below).

I found this product, the Space Sleeper:

Multipurpose Beauty, Therapeutic, and Travel Pillow SpaceSleeper Pillow (photo attached). This pillow, is more like a cushioned helmet that forms a "halo" around your forehead area without touching your scalp. But one could still potentially touch one's head even with it on.

Input from people who have had HTs would be much appreciated on how they made sure that their grafts weren't impacted while they slept.

Also, does anyone know how hard your grafts would have to be impacted for them to be damaged within the first 10 day window? Per Google:

"Is it true that the average person touches their face between 2,000 and 3,000 times per day? Dr. Erin Mears (Kate Winslet) says this in the film but I can find nothing to prove or disprove. "On average, people touch their faces about 16 times an hour. Some people less, others as many as 100 touches per hour."

That's scary and I know our face is different than our head, but not really by much.

BbabyHelmet.jpg.7f33cb2b26bf9c103ca2b864984a8821.jpg

spacesleeper.jpg.6f1476f529a9e10fa368e688c85bb981.jpg

Edited by FUEAsianHairline

This looks pretty cool gonna look into this,I'm going in for my procedure mid April and I've heard a few people recommend neck pillows folks use on airplanes also a towel or small blanket rolled up,just try and not move in your sleep for a week and find something that's comfortable that's what I plan on.. and wearing some type of gloves if the sites are itchy lol good luck sir

A helmet isn't a good idea and I wouldn't use anything that has to slip over the head,

I found this travel pillow by Cabeau and Marshall's for under $20 and it worked great! I don't think they make this exact one anymore but they have some that may be even better.

When propped up at the correct angle with bed pillows, this neck pillow offered excellent support and also isolated my donor area from the rest of the pillows. It was very comfortable.

To stop myself from rolling around I used a pillow wedged in either side to stabilize myself. Only once did I slide down in my sleep and ended up with my donor on the white pillow. No blood but there was some oozing.

5b32e4e452082_travelpillow.JPG.54d1b453d1f526a277d03e160c970d2a.JPG

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Thanks David. How gentle do you have to be with your grafts before they are locked in? Could a simple scratch or brush of the hand cause damage to them?

I'm probably going to sleep in a recliner to prevent rolling around, but I'm mainly afraid of accidentally touching or even scratching my head while sleeping.

Within the first three days or so it can be pretty easy to lose a graft. Scratching or bumping the head may dislodge them. After that it becomes more difficult. For this reason, Dr. Bhatti advised me to wait 3 days prior to flying back home.

By 8 to 10 days, the grafts should be fully anchored.

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

i just had a small amount done 12 days ago and its always a bit nervous when sleeping just make sure you got 2-3 pillows propping you up and my recommendation is where socks at night, i didn't do this but one time i woke up and panicked as i lightly itched my head at the front while i was asleep, i think this was 2 or 3 days after and immediately woke up and realised i touched my head, its a nightmare sleeping until 10 days as i was always worried and couldn't sleep commutable to much, another tip if you don't wear socks is try sleep with your hands underneath the pillow thats propping you up that way should keep them clear from moving freely while your asleep, goodluck :)

I used a neck pillow given to me by my doctor. I also didn't touch the recipient area for the full 2 weeks as I was instructed. While I might have had this concern about touching the grafts during sleep prior to the surgery, afterwards I never thought about it. I spent 8 hours in a chair for the procedure. I slept at a 45 degree angle the first 5 nights. I never had to worry about fighting the urge to itch my head as there was just no way I was going to jeopardize the outcome. I spent all this money, took time off work for recovery. The idea of this surgery has consumed all my attention for a long while- and thats a powerful thing. I really wouldn't worry about accidentally scratching your grafts, your subconscious will power is enough.

Some patients will invariably scratch grafts out in the night and a small percentage do.

Wearing marigold type gloves can help avoid this and soften any scalp touching as a barrier between fingernails and the scalp but not fool proof.

Others will button their arms inside a shirt but the concern with this is if you fall out of bed you could do some damage if your arms are not free to break the fall.

I always used a travel pillow and as such never had problems scratching my scalp and most don't.

I represent Dr. Bisanga.

Dr. Christian Bisanga is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network

I've given a bit of thought as I'm going in the chair in a few days.

As I move quite a bit in my sleep and have even ripped bed sheets whilst sleeping

I intend taking a dressing gown cord to tie around my wrists and anchor it so the highest I could get my hands will be chest height.

Dont want to wake up with the transplant up the fingernails I prefer to have it on my head.

Have a good day

Within the first three days or so it can be pretty easy to lose a graft. Scratching or bumping the head may dislodge them. After that it becomes more difficult. For this reason, Dr. Bhatti advised me to wait 3 days prior to flying back home.

By 8 to 10 days, the grafts should be fully anchored.

David, thanks for the advice. I'm wondering what are the benefits of waiting 3 days before flying back? Did you stay in their clinic? I've heard most guys fly home the next day.

Do you think the back and forth of traveling can potentially lead to graft loss? (I'm picturing the nightmare scenario of luggage falling and hitting someone's head post surgery:eek:)

I tie my hands down. No lie. I sit on my reclining chair which is quite comfortable and tie my hands down to the side table next to my couch. I give enough slack to be comfortable but not enough to be able to reach my scalp without leaning my whole body forward.

Its worked well for me. If I've lost grafts, I can't tell because they all seem to still be in there.. I am on day 5-6

Also, I use one of those airline pillows around my neck so I don't roll my head too much.

David, thanks for the advice. I'm wondering what are the benefits of waiting 3 days before flying back? Did you stay in their clinic? I've heard most guys fly home the next day.

Do you think the back and forth of traveling can potentially lead to graft loss? (I'm picturing the nightmare scenario of luggage falling and hitting someone's head post surgery:eek:)

When I planned my trip, I asked Dr. Bhatti to recommend the minimum amount of time I should stay prior to flying back. He recommended 3 days. I was able to visit the clinic for a hair wash the next morning and since I was there each day, I was able to ask questions about aftercare, etc.

My concern in flying back too soon was falling asleep on the long flight and rubbing my head against the seat, wall, etc. I also envisioned scenarios whereby someone clocked me on the head with luggage. If I could have, I would have stayed even longer but I felt pretty safe at 3 days.

Thanks David, that's a big help. Just to be clear are you saying you stayed 3 nights and left on day 4?

Bardelbee, the hand tying sounds funny but i totally agree based on the investment you made and i might look into that.

This reminds me of Nightmare on Elm Street where everyone is afraid to go to bed and in this case for 10 days until grafts are locked in?.

When I planned my trip, I asked Dr. Bhatti to recommend the minimum amount of time I should stay prior to flying back. He recommended 3 days. I was able to visit the clinic for a hair wash the next morning and since I was there each day, I was able to ask questions about aftercare, etc.

My concern in flying back too soon was falling asleep on the long flight and rubbing my head against the seat, wall, etc. I also envisioned scenarios whereby someone clocked me on the head with luggage. If I could have, I would have stayed even longer but I felt pretty safe at 3 days.

Sorry to go off topic here but --

David -- I just took a look at your blog and the pics from recent HT #3 (FUE) . Noticed you chose not to plant any grafts into the prior FUT scar . Just curious --- was that Dr Bhatti's recommendation or you felt your scar was fairly hidden even at short buzz cuts so you didn't need to camoflague it any further ?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FUT #1, ~ 1600 grafts hairline (Ron Shapiro 2004)

FUT #2 ~ 2000 grafts frontal third (Ziering 2011)

FUT #3 ~ 1900 grafts midscalp (Ron Shapiro early 2015)

FUE ~ 1500 grafts frontal third, side scalp, FUT scar repair --300 beard, 1200 scalp (Ron Shapiro, late 2016)

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/185663-recent-fue-dr-ron-shapiro-prior-fut-patient.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry to go off topic here but --

David -- I just took a look at your blog and the pics from recent HT #3 (FUE) . Noticed you chose not to plant any grafts into the prior FUT scar . Just curious --- was that Dr Bhatti's recommendation or you felt your scar was fairly hidden even at short buzz cuts so you didn't need to camoflague it any further ?

It was my decision. I don't generally care to wear my hair short enough to the scar to be an issue. I may do it in the future though.