Considering propecia- gyno really freaking me out

sportsfan12

Why don't you look at http://www.clinicaltrials.gov? Incidence of gyno is uncommon.

Interesting- never used that before. I guess with all of the horror stories online, you forget how many people take the drug with no problems whatsoever. I'm really just concerned about the long term effects as I'm only 25- but the thinning is killing me

Sports,

Gynecomastia generally occurs when the body experiences an increase in female sex hormones - ie estrogens - or when there is an increase in the conversion of androgens to estrogen hormones. From a biochemical standpoint, the incidence of something like this with finasteride should be very low.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I've been on propecia for 7 years and one of the first things I noticed was more fat in the chest area. I never had an ounce of fat there before then after a few months I noticed it increasing. More puffy nipples and fatty chest than breasts. I think it's the gland underneath the nipple area that's grown. I am not overweight and work out doing a lot of cardio but it doesn't shift it. I am considering getting the gland removed although I'm not sure if it grows back whilst on Propecia? I'll ask the surgeon I guess. Probably a very small chance you'll get it but always the chance, I did. Just gotta weigh up the pro's and cons!

I've been on propecia for 7 years and one of the first things I noticed was more fat in the chest area. I never had an ounce of fat there before then after a few months I noticed it increasing. More puffy nipples and fatty chest than breasts. I think it's the gland underneath the nipple area that's grown. I am not overweight and work out doing a lot of cardio but it doesn't shift it. I am considering getting the gland removed although I'm not sure if it grows back whilst on Propecia? I'll ask the surgeon I guess. Probably a very small chance you'll get it but always the chance, I did. Just gotta weigh up the pro's and cons!

Enough that it's noticeable by others? Obviously not problematic enough for you to stop since its been 7 years? I'm at a point where if I am going to start propecia it needs to be now, as my thinning is getting worse. If I could just keep what I have and thicken it up the crown, I would be happy. Anything on hairline would be a bonus. Any other sides you noticed/suggestions for somebody considering starting?

Yeah it is noticeable especially in a T shirt in the summer but hey, I'd rather try and keep my hair if possible! The sides I had when I started was hot flushes/sweating/anxiety and ball pain mostly. It felt like I was going through the menopause! Then that went after about a month. I'm sticking with it until/if something better comes along to replace it. Just see how it goes, maybe start on low dose of 0.5mg and see how that goes but do try and stick with it as initial sides ( if any ) will often pass as your body gets used to the drug. Same with anything really! Good luck with it.

Yeah it is noticeable especially in a T shirt in the summer but hey, I'd rather try and keep my hair if possible! The sides I had when I started was hot flushes/sweating/anxiety and ball pain mostly. It felt like I was going through the menopause! Then that went after about a month. I'm sticking with it until/if something better comes along to replace it. Just see how it goes, maybe start on low dose of 0.5mg and see how that goes but do try and stick with it as initial sides ( if any ) will often pass as your body gets used to the drug. Same with anything really! Good luck with it.

Thanks for your input- what exactly has it done for your hair compared to the condition of it when you started? Also do you think the chest fat could be reduced by exercise/diet? Or just sort of something that's there no matter what

It's helped to stabilise loss and also helped improve condition of hair. No, gyno doesn't respond to exercise and weight training much. Tiny bit but not really, especially if it's more breast tissue that's developing.

Unfortunately, I've experienced fullness behind the nipple as well, or otherwise known as puffy nipples. I'm at a point where I am seriously considering surgery, but it's so freaking expensive. Is it absolutely horrible? No, but it is visible through more fitted clothes and bothers me to no end.

Unfortunately, I've experienced fullness behind the nipple as well, or otherwise known as puffy nipples. I'm at a point where I am seriously considering surgery, but it's so freaking expensive. Is it absolutely horrible? No, but it is visible through more fitted clothes and bothers me to no end.

How long have you been on fin and when did you start to notice this? Is it serious enough to consider stopping propecia? If you had surgery, is there a chance it would just come back?