Nizoral 2% and Biotin

Torn

My dr recently gave me a script for Nizoral 2%. Though reading through some of the posts here I'm wondering if its a good idea to try it. I've had ht's in the past and am concerned about losing what I have left. (which isn't much !!)

The consensus here seems to be use it sparingly like 1-2 times a week, but I'm wondering is that really enough to achieve any benefits ? Have many here actually achieved good results from it and if so how often are you using it ? And how long should it be left in the hair before rinsing it out.

Also I started taking 5k Biotin four months ago and noticed my hair has gotten a lot softer and smoother. Sort of hard to describe but similar to when one would use a conditioner.

Now that might sound good however it actually works against me in that when my hair was dryer/frizzier/bushier it looked much fuller. Now that my hair is 'softer and smoother' it also looks thinner !

Is this a common effect of Biotin ? Or could it just be a seasonal thing. My hair does change throughout the year but I don't recall this.

If this is a common effect I suppose I will have to stop taking it. Or at least wait for the summer to see if there are any changes.

Has any else experienced this ?

Thanks, Torn

• 2 weeks later...

No matter how sparingly I applied nizoral, it made me shed like a mofo. And I felt like it totally destroyed any gains that I had made with fin and/or minoxidil. I now give it a wide berth. In fact, I still have half a bottle left in my bathroom which has been sitting there unused for God knows how long.

I don't rate nizoral. At all.

Regimen:

Finasteride (1.25mg): Daily.

Minoxidil (5%): Twice Daily.

Super Biotin (5000mcg) Vitamin Supplement; Daily

Silica Complex; Daily

No matter how sparingly I applied nizoral, it made me shed like a mofo. And I felt like it totally destroyed any gains that I had made with fin and/or minoxidil. I now give it a wide berth. In fact, I still have half a bottle left in my bathroom which has been sitting there unused for God knows how long.

I don't rate nizoral. At all.

Did you get the loss back after you stopper Nizoral?

I got some of it back on the crown, but I can't help but feel that nizoral did some serious damage to the hairline.

Regimen:

Finasteride (1.25mg): Daily.

Minoxidil (5%): Twice Daily.

Super Biotin (5000mcg) Vitamin Supplement; Daily

Silica Complex; Daily

Thanks for the replies guys. Please clarify these... I've read when you use Nizoral you will initially 'shed', then the hairs will all (?) come back stronger and thicker. If this is true, why do I find so many negative responses to its use ???

As to biotin, I understand that the hair will grow faster but does it also change the texture as well ? As this has been a negative to my hair since it looked thicker when it was coarser/drier/bushier. Now that it is softer it lays flater and separates more.

Also I'm really missing the point of this... what are the actual benefits of your hair growing faster ? Other than post op when you'd want your ht to come in. Are there any other benefits to using biotin ?

I'm taking 5k once a day for approx 4 months now.

Torn

Thanks for the replies guys. Please clarify these... I've read when you use Nizoral you will initially 'shed', then the hairs will all (?) come back stronger and thicker. If this is true, why do I find so many negative responses to its use ???

As to biotin, I understand that the hair will grow faster but does it also change the texture as well ? As this has been a negative to my hair since it looked thicker when it was coarser/drier/bushier. Now that it is softer it lays flater and separates more.

Also I'm really missing the point of this... what are the actual benefits of your hair growing faster ? Other than post op when you'd want your ht to come in. Are there any other benefits to using biotin ?

I'm taking 5k once a day for approx 4 months now.

Torn

I feel the same as you with Biotin & the hair feels a lot softer but at the same time stronger & healthy if that makes sense.

Biotin won't make new growth but will do what I said above.

Look at it this way if you hair is acting like this & Biotin is making your hair grow faster than before then this IMHO is nothing but positive as your hair folicals is getting the food of what it needs.

So yep Biotin will make your hair feel thin but at the same time will make it stronger & healthy also....kinda sucks where it didn't feel & look as before but Biotin will defo help your hair.

I would advise to keep taking but maybe take it EOD & see if that makes a change in your hair texture it can't do no harm trail & error sort of deal.

While we are the subject of natural supplements maybe try MSN & Vit D3 tabs this I've been using for several mths & feeling that I'm moving forward in a healthy scalp & also mind/body.

Also last point I would like to make that I use Biotin shampoo x2 a wk only which IMHO hasn't done much for any gains as such but again much stronger fuller healthy hair.

My questions to you my friend is are you using any Meds such as Fin or Min/ rogain? Reason why I ask is that they can also make your hair feel this way like a seasonal thing where your hair feels thinner certain times of the year sample like the summer mths.

Anyway I wish you well

Good luck

To be honest mate, I would ditch the nizoral. It causes itchiness and irritation and a lot of shedding. Everyone is different so try it sparingly if u want.

Biotin MAY improve your hair quality slightly. It will do nothing for hair loss.

If you really want to keep your hair, try Minoxidil or finasteride.

Propecia since July 2008

2201 Grafts with Dr Lorenzo on 19.10.22 - See my write up here:

Thanks for the replies guys, lots of good info. No Im not on any meds, I spoke with an HT doc about that and he felt at my age - late 50's - whatever fell out, fell out. And what I had on top at this point were all ht hairs. Which supposedly I won't loss. I'll probably continue the biotin - since I already bought it - and see how it plays out and if this is a seasonal thing. Maybe give the msm a try as well. Its funny for every person who swears by X, there's another who runs from it. This has definitely been a long hard journey....

Torn

Thanks for the replies guys, lots of good info. No Im not on any meds, I spoke with an HT doc about that and he felt at my age - late 50's - whatever fell out, fell out. And what I had on top at this point were all ht hairs. Which supposedly I won't loss. I'll probably continue the biotin - since I already bought it - and see how it plays out and if this is a seasonal thing. Maybe give the msm a try as well. Its funny for every person who swears by X, there's another who runs from it. This has definitely been a long hard journey....

Torn

Can I ask you a question/s

Being your in your late 50s do you wake up wanting to go to toilet?

Do you feel that your urine don't flow like it should or did previous?

If so then Avodart or Dus could kill 2 birds with one stone.

These 2 drugs which are the same but a male in his late 50s is at risk of BPC & if you went on the drug above could help not only BPC risk for the future but also your hair loss.

Some food for thought next time you speak with your Dr.

Hope you all the best.

I have used generic Nizoral for about 8 years. I do not use any other meds. I leave it in my hair over night, and take a shower in the morning. This has really slowed down the hair loss. However, the libido is slightly reduced, but not much.