Question for Aussies who have had a HT (avoiding the sun)

I am returning to Perth on 6 January 2015 following my HT later on this week, and am a bit concerned about the amount of sun exposure I am going to be subject to going back to an Aussie summer.

I reckon I will look a bit stupid going to work in a cap and a suit and trying to ensure I have SPF on my scalp for the next 6 months every time I am near a bit of sun in-and-outdoors is going to be a real chore I reckon. Every time I am about to go outside at work for meetings etc, I am going to have to apply SPF 10 minutes before hand etc, and when you deal with impromptu situations where you may not always be carrying SPF, I can''t see how you can completely avoid sun exposure on your scalp, especially in Perth.

Anyone have any tips?

EDIT: Mods can you move this to the Q&A section please.

Edited by FUE2014
p

I lived in Arizona when I had my hair transplants. I had the advantage of working from home but did need to venture out in the heat of day from time to time for meetings that would not allow me to use a hat or bandana.. One thing I would do differently today is take a small umbrella. Didn't occur to me at the time but I've seen a number of people using them for the sun.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

One thing I would do differently today is take a small umbrella.

Aussie men and sun umbrellas go hand-in-hand. Can of VB in the left hand, sun umbrella in the right!! Off to the footy! 'Don't you start no fight!' says Bon.

I think you'll have to ask the doc/rep that one. That is one thing they should be able to give you objective opinions about. I guess that sunblock creams have a variety of ingredients. They certainly use a variety of textures.

I've had two hair transplants. Sun exposure isn't too bad - just take the same precautions you normally would in the sun.

Keep a cap on for the most part when you're outside & try to avoid the harshest hours. I was at the beach about 6 weeks after both of my transplants and the growth wasn't hampered on either occasion.

Impromptu walks down the street from office to office etc shouldn't be a problem. It's prolonged exposure thats the issue.