Finasteride for norwood 5's and above

Yonex

What are the advantages of taking Fin for higher norwoods who decide to have a hair transplant, if theres not much on top to save why do doctors recommend taking it, does it help with the donor hair quality or does it help to make the hair stronger or grow faster after transplantation?

Consider that over time it is quite possible that the hair in your parietal-occipital zones will continue to recede leaving a very unnatural gap between your recipient hair and the later recession. Once lost it is very unlikely to come back even if started on finasteride afterwards. Hair loss is nearly always progressive but does not necessarily occur in a linear fashion. One might stabilize for many years only to accelerate suddenly to an even higher NW class or regress so slowly after a successful HT that it is not initially realized until it is too late.

Edited by hairweare

Fin does not help the donor hair grow, it only saves what you have and stops further progression. I am a NW5 and my family history (dad plus 5 uncles) says I would max out at a NW6 between today and 30 years from now, so stopping fin may be Ok for me, or it could create some funny thinning in the future, which may require another session to cover and add density. I am on the fence with being med-dependent. If my family history said I would max-out at a NW7, I would continue fin to ensure I don't get the halo or island look, having transplanted hairs on top with receding/thinning happening around it.