How long to wait to remove sutures?

Hi,

I'm planning on getting a hair transplant overseas. How long do I need to wait to remove the sutures? Do I need the HT surgeon to remove it? Or can I get it done by someone else?

Thanks

Hi,

I'm planning on getting a hair transplant overseas. How long do I need to wait to remove the sutures? Do I need the HT surgeon to remove it? Or can I get it done by someone else?

Thanks

7 days,my wife removed mine .

Edited by LETSC
Incorrect advice

Hi Puma,

No, you do not need a hair transplant surgeon to remove the sutures. A primary care physician works just fine!

The surgeon will tell you how long to wait. I would throw out a general estimate, but it varies. Following your physician's post-operative instructions is important, and I highly recommend removing the sutures when instructed.

Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Dr. Wong advised I wait ten days for suture/staple removal.

Some doctors say a week is enough.

I contacted a local plastic surgeon I knew and he removed them for free.

Suture/staple removal was painless and took less than 5 minutes.

Dr. Dow Stough - 1000 Grafts - 1996

Dr. Jerry Wong - 4352 Grafts - August 2012

Dr. Jerry Wong - 2708 Grafts - May 2016

Remember a hair transplant turns back the clock,

but it doesn't stop the clock.

• Moderators

5 days is definitely not enough time. You are risking splitting the scar open because it hasn't fully healed. You should wait at least 7 days, but preferably about 10 days.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.