Hair transplant viability with fine, thin, straight hair, fair skinned , etc?

PeteInPDX

I have very fine, straight, thin hair and I am fair skinned (light brown hair, used to be blonde, blue eyes, etc). I am 37 years old and first started noticing my hair was thinning about 10 years ago. Is hair transplant surgery a realistic option for people in my basic situation (obviously recognizing that I would need to consult with an expert)?

I suppose this has sort of crept up on me since I wasn't that bothered by it, but seeing myself in pictures and the like... I am seeing how much my hair has thinned out, especially around the crown and the like. I am thinking about solutions / alternatives. I have not yet tried medication, but it sounds like that's a pretty marginal solution (need to find a local GP to prescribe I guess?). Any suggestions? Recommendations? I am pretty well off financially, so the cost doesn't really concern me, but side-effects, recovery, and long term consequences are definitely foremost on my mind.

Thanks,

Pete

IMG_0480.jpg.f7840f7edc9dbe8052a99e4db43f2123.jpg

IMG_0524.jpg.28f6a83f651b108dffc7f2cb492a1aec.jpg

IMG_0526.jpg.60dd1b8db486ea9a2a27456eaafb36e4.jpg

IMG_0528.jpg.1dbd92a6dd1b7f0e576e8cac8e56023b.jpg

IMG_0535.jpg.9ef0be631fcea556b940694585535043.jpg

I think you should get on propecia. You can order it online on the Boots website. I think that will stable your hair loss. I think you would then benefit from a transplant. If money is not an issue look at Dr. Lorenzo. His results are amazing.

Most people have enough donor hair to deal with the front hairline back to the edge of the crown. If decent coverage in that area would satisfy you then that should be possible in 1 or 2 sessions.

You might be limited to certain hairstyles for it to look dense, e.g. side part and combed to the side, however, that is a hell of a lot better than looking bald.

Agree with London81 in trying the meds to keep the hair you have left.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

Best example I could find:

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/172414-4-016-grafts-dr-cooley.html

I think something like that is reasonably possible.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

I would also suggest that you use propecia on a low dose to see how you cope with it initially. Split each tablet into fours for example. You can get a pill cutter from eBay.

Your hair is slightly thinner than mine but you have more hair than I had when I had my first surgery. So if I were you I would consider at least one operation to give some nice coverage. The money spent & recovery time are certainly better than balding.

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.

1978matt: That's a very impressive result. I would be very happy with something like that (assuming the situations are comparable).

Dutch: Is it not possible to get the pills in smaller form or is that mainly a cost savings measure? I have young children at home and I understand that there are side-effects if they come in contact with it.

Also is rogaine worth bothering with? Also approx how long do these drugs take before people typically start seeing apparent results?

London81: Thank you. I am definitely going to give propecia a try to start.

A propecia tablet comes in only one size, 1mg. Of course don't stay on it if you plan to have anymore children. Keep them safe & out of their way for sure as with all meds.

I tried mino for a while but when you're so far gone, it is a hassle with minimal results. Can give it a go if you want. You'd need to be commited to using it daily. The foam is easier to apply.

• 2 weeks later...