shedding started up again

shinytop

Hi folks,

I've been on generic propecia 1.25mg for at least 4 years, Nizoral is my main shampoo. I use regaine foam 5% once a day. I also had 2500 FUE around 18 months ago.

Up until even 6 weeks ago my hair was doing pretty well. The hair loss was minimal and the hair felt thick (ish) and strong.

But for some reason since then I've started shedding a lot. Probably the worst in 3 years. The hair that's lost is very miniturised.

I really can't understand why this is happening. The only things I can think of are:

We're in July and the weather has been quite warm; I've been taking antihistamines for my hayfever;

My healthy diet has slipped a little. More dairy and sugar;

So I guess what I'm asking if what can I do to stop the loss? Super-healthy diet? Up the propecia dose?

I'm also thinking of starting trx2 or saw palmetto.

I'd love to know your thoughts.

seasonal shedding and nizoral use/overuse are my guesses, since you are shedding miniaturized hairs that should be a good sign - as opposed to a heavy shed of thick terminal hairs

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Thanks guys. I'll try not to freak out too much. MPB is a cruel thing.

I've used Nizoral for years, not for MPB but seborrheic dermatitis, a type of eczema that affects my scalp mainly. I'm sensitive to fragrance so Nizoral is quite good in that respect as its fragrance free. If I am to reduce it's use, I would need to find something that is fragrance free and also treats seborrheic dermatitis.

I looked into Alpecin but that's got some pretty harsh ingredients including fragrance.

My other issue is excessive sebum production. Finasteride doesn't appear to have reduced it any. I spoke to my G.P. about low dose accutane but they won't entertain the idea.

Thanks for your support guys. Really appreciated :-)

I'm also a SD sufferer, if it works then just lower your frequency of Nizoral usage and try to use the 1% version according to the instructions 1-2x week.

I agree it is one of those shampoos that just works and also doesn't leave a buildup on the scalp and can have an odd thickening effect. Problem is it has some very harsh ingredients in it.

Frequent washing with very high water pressure to keep the scalp clean, occasional use of Nizoral for my midscalp and crown, sometimes using ACV, and also recently cutting my hair short are how I'm dealing with it recently.

Btw, I had increased scalp oilness/sebum while on Fin, so I had to drop it.

Not recommending you do the same just mentioning mine got worse on it

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

Thanks, hsrp10.

we've certainly got a tough combo to deal with! Yes I'll try to gradually reduce my Nizoral usage and replace with a fragrance free shampoo for most days.

Do you use a hairdryer at all? I find by SD flares up badly if I allow it to dry naturally. The same for my face - I have to dry pronto!

Thanks, hsrp10.

we've certainly got a tough combo to deal with! Yes I'll try to gradually reduce my Nizoral usage and replace with a fragrance free shampoo for most days.

Do you use a hairdryer at all? I find by SD flares up badly if I allow it to dry naturally. The same for my face - I have to dry pronto!

For sure man, it sucks and SD in most cases is chronic life long.

I've had multiple procedures for around 5,000 grafts or so so I don't worry about losing hair so much these days, but the scalp issues never go away.

I've found that removing whatever scalp residue/flakes are remaining after the shower is best done when still moist in my case, and I never lose hairs when doing it this way. So not a big fan of hair dryer.

Though when I sweat a lot and don't have time for shower I do use a hair dryer on cool setting.

Hopefully they'll come out with a real cure for SD someday.

go dense or go home

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, actually I think it can be seasonal changes to your hair or it can be because of the heat, pollution or lack of some vitamins. Nizrol is a good shampoo and it prevents hair loss and hair related problem very well. But it is too harsh for daily use, my suggestion is to use another shampoo as your main and use nizrol once a week.