New hair loss treatment legit?

Hey guys, I just and across this video today about an arthritis drug being the cure to hair loss. I know they probably have a long way to go but the results look crazy good. Have you guys heard of this?

Arthritis drug helps bald man regrow hair, Yale study says - NY Daily News

Edited by Future_HT_Doc

I saw a brief segment of this claim on NBC Nightly News broadcast last Friday evening.

They never stated which arthritis drug was used, provided no clinical information, gave no background on the man they claimed to grow a "full head of hair". They showed his before photo "slick bald", then a pic showing a full head of hair with way above average density.

Did you see this too? I am always leery of claims like this when they present the claim like it's sort of private promotion or something. It would also be traveling the world like wildfire if it had any true merit so to me, it appeared more like a scam than anything else.

I do hope I am wrong and there is some wonder drug like this to grow hair in massive volumes...:cool:

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Notsosure,

Altogether, the story itself is "legit." It is not yet clear whether the treatment will work for patients in general or if there was something unique about this one individual. Regardless, the Yale dermatology team drafted a proposal for a study researching the cream version of the Tofacitinib citrate in patients with alopecia areata.

However, here is the kicker: the drug is effective for those suffering from autoimmune alopecias like alopecia areta, alopecia totalis, and alopecia universalis. It is not, however, expected to show any effect in patients suffering from androgenic alopecia (male pattern hair loss). This means the drug is only suited and directed for a small number of patients suffering from a specific type of alopecia.

To read more, please see the following: Arthritis Drug Restores Full Head of Hair in Patient with Alopecia Universalis.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Obviously Blake did his homework on this drug which is well appreciated by myself and many others.

I knew there had to be more to the story. I was not aware that it was a case not involving MPB.

Yet this drug could prove to be a cure for AA, AU, DUPA, and the like.

After all, hair loss is still hair loss and even if this drug helps a smaller percent of hair loss sufferers, that still a big stride of achievement IMHO...:)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY