Hair Transplant With Dr. Vories (2250 Grafts)

Jay6

As I was reading through this thread, I found myself thinking about TygerD's experience with the same surgeon and then, as if by magic, he appears in the thread.

Jay6, I feel for you. I don't give a toss what the doctor says; the "slow grower" line is pure BS. After 6 months you should be able to see a damn sight more growth than that. You DO NOT want to be given the brush off with "give it 12 or 18 months". The surgeon didn't deliver; that's it, plain and simple! Why prolong the disappointment - get it dealt with ASAP. You've lost 6 months already; don't make it a year

Ask for a refund and get yourself to a surgeon who's actually competent with African hair.

Quite frankly, I am disgusted that history seems to be repeating itself with this Doctor. The lack of good results with African American males from his clinic serves as testimony that he is simply not good with African American males. It's not a "diss" but an objective observation. Otherwise we'd see empirical evidence in the form of ample photos. My result simply wasn't an outlier. Even if Jay sees a miraculous spurt in growth the sparse hairs are going in all types of directions and are not aligned/angled with the native hairs at all. This is exactly what I saw with my result well beyond the 8th month mark, the 12th month, the 18th month, hell it's been 2 plus years. End the charade and just give the guy his refund so he can move on with his life.

Guys,

I've reread this thread to this point and I'd like to add my input. First, to Jay6 I want to say that I know how it feels when you feel like your hair transplant should be looking better at a given stage than it does. I had a similar experience with my first hair transplant and it's all well documented on this forum since long before I became employed here.

Cryingoutloud, I know you're trying to help but I have to disagree with your statement about slow growers. I can speak from experience on this and, again, it's all documented for anyone that wants to search my posts. I had significant changes in density from 8 to 10 months and improvement continued to 12 months and a little beyond. It's easy to get discouraged given all the great results posted here that look amazing after only a few short months but that doesn't happen for everyone. It takes longer for some of us. Ultimately, I chose to have a revision to augment the hairline and add density in areas of low growth. My surgeon stood behind the work and I returned to him for a touch up and I've been very happy since.

Having said that, I'm not trying to placate Jay or otherwise diminish his concerns. I cannot guarantee that he'll be happy after 12 months or if he'll need another pass but I strongly recommend reserving judgement until that time. There is a reason why the majority of hair transplant clinics set that time frame as a standard.

I'm surprised to see what I would characterize as somewhat hostile remarks directed at Dr. Vories given that he has posted on this thread and expressed concern. He simply requested that Jay return for a 6 month and 12 month consultation. Have you seen Dr. Vories in person since raising your concerns? If not, I highly recommend doing so. I know him to be a caring physician.

All patients are welcome to express concerns and to share their results, good or bad. But, our Terms of Service require that anyone posting a critical surgeon review allows that doctor to also share his side of the story. This will normally entail the patient providing the physician with express permission to discuss the case publicly. This is a courtesy we extend not only to recommended doctors but also non-recommended doctors because it's the only way to maintain transparency.

I am going to contact Dr. Vories and request that he contact Jay privately and also comment publicly on this discussion inasmuch as he can. In the event that he is not aware of Jay's identity, I request that Jay contact him directly to get the discussion started.

Whatever the outcome or whatever Jay opts to do, my only hope in cases like this is that the patient receives the result he is hoping for.

Edited by David - TakingThePlunge
Spelling

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Guys,

I've reread this thread to this point and I'd like to add my input. First, to Jay6 I want to say that I know how it feels when you feel like your hair transplant should be looking better at a given stage than it does. I had a similar experience with my first hair transplant and it's all well documented on this forum since long before I became employed here.

Cryingoutloud, I know you're trying to help but I have to disagree with your statement about slow growers. I can speak from experience on this and, again, it's all documented for anyone that wants to search my posts. I had significant changes in density from 8 to 10 months and improvement continued to 12 months and a little beyond. It's easy to get discouraged given all the great results posted here that look amazing after only a few short months but that doesn't happen for everyone. It takes longer for some of us. Ultimately, I chose to have a revision to augment the hairline and add density in areas of low growth. My surgeon stood behind the work and I returned to him for a touch up and I've been very happy since.

Having said that, I'm not trying to placate Jay or otherwise diminish his concerns. I cannot guarantee that he'll be happy after 12 months or if he'll need another pass but I strongly recommend reserving judgement until that time. There is a reason why the majority of hair transplant clinics set that time frame as a standard.

I'm surprised to see what I would characterize as somewhat hostile remarks directed at Dr. Vories given that he has posted on this thread and expressed concern. He simply requested that Jay return for a 6 month and 12 month consultation. Have you seen Dr. Vories in person since raising your concerns? If not, I highly recommend doing so. I know him to be a caring physician.

All patients are welcome to express concerns and to share their results, good or bad. But, our Terms of Service require that anyone posting a critical surgeon review allows that doctor to also share his side of the story. This will normally entail the patient providing the physician with express permission to discuss the case publicly. This is a courtesy we extend not only to recommended doctors but also non-recommended doctors because it's the only way to maintain transparency.

I am going to contact Dr. Vories and request that he contact Jay privately and also comment publicly on this discussion in as much as he can. In the event that he is not aware of Jay's identity, I request that Jay contact him directly to get the discussion started.

Whatever the outcome or whatever Jay opts to do, my only hope in cases like is that the pateint receives the result he is hoping for.

Thank you for your post. It is greatly appreciated. I contacted Dr. Vories on Saturday, and he responded within hours of you making this post. So, thank you once again for your input and influence.

Thank you for your post. It is greatly appreciated. I contacted Dr. Vories on Saturday, and he responded within hours of you making this post. So, thank you once again for your input and influence.

Jay, I'm happy to have helped. Good luck!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

• 3 weeks later...

I know everybody might not agreed with this but I think there should only be a less than a handful of doctors recommended for African Americans. I think it's unfair when a doctor is recommended across the board for every hair type. We have a completely different hair pattern and texture than other races. One bad surgery can rule someone's life. Yet the doctor is still recommended for every hair texture. We have to do keyword searches just to find out the true experiences with some doctors who butchered african Americans hair. You can clearly look at the pics and tell the doctor layed the donor hair incorrectly. Just look at the back of his hair and the front his hair. The front hair is sticks straight up. His natural hair pattern lays at a flat angle. I only trust one doctor! He's in California! This is a expensive surgery! I can't afford to be someone's lab rat!

I know everybody might not agreed with this but I think there should only be a less than a handful of doctors recommended for African Americans. I think it's unfair when a doctor is recommended across the board for every hair type. We have a completely different hair pattern and texture than other races. One bad surgery can rule someone's life. Yet the doctor is still recommended for every hair texture. We have to do keyword searches just to find out the true experiences with some doctors who butchered african Americans hair. You can clearly look at the pics and tell the doctor layed the donor hair incorrectly. Just look at the back of his hair and the front his hair. The front hair is sticks straight up. His natural hair pattern lays at a flat angle. I only trust one doctor! He's in California! This is a expensive surgery! I can't afford to be someone's lab rat!

I agree. One can talk "growth" all they want but this case is just an aesthetic disaster. Aesthetics are just as important as actual growth. I suffered the same fate and the same hands. These abysmal results will continue to be overlooked because African American surgery is deemed as a niche and comes with a qualifier, "hair surgery on an African American" opposed to just hair surgery. It's up to us to do our due diligence in researching qualified surgeons and sharing our experiences.

I know Dr Rassman has experience operating on African American patients, but unfortunately I believe he has retired, you should contact Jae Pak, who is the current surgeon at that clinic to see what he thinks. I believe Bernstein also has experience as well.

Not true. When I see someone with the same hair texture as me and someone who clearly specializes in hair transplants, my trust level goes almost to 100%. There are very few who can actually do the job right. I get extremely excited and emotional based on those facts. There's only 2 doctors in the world I would trust Umar and the Dr. Diep. I can't take the risk or lose thousands of dollars with a doctor practicing on my hair type. This is not your typical any doctor can do it boob job or lipo doctor. It takes a skill. It's almost like being a artist. Your painting will either look really good or a disaster. I rather PAY $20k for the right doctor who specializes in my hair type!

^I don't think there is a connection between the ethnicity of the doctor and his skill in removing african hair. :)

Thanks for being Brave enough to share your story. You've helped me along with a few others on this msg board. Thanks!

I agree. One can talk "growth" all they want but this case is just an aesthetic disaster. Aesthetics are just as important as actual growth. I suffered the same fate and the same hands. These abysmal results will continue to be overlooked because African American surgery is deemed as a niche and comes with a qualifier, "hair surgery on an African American" opposed to just hair surgery. It's up to us to do our due diligence in researching qualified surgeons and sharing our experiences.

Not true. When I see someone with the same hair texture as me and someone who clearly specializes in hair transplants, my trust level goes almost to 100%. There are very few who can actually do the job right. I get extremely excited and emotional based on those facts. There's only 2 doctors in the world I would trust Umar and the Dr. Diep. I can't take the risk or lose thousands of dollars with a doctor practicing on my hair type. This is not your typical any doctor can do it boob job or lipo doctor. It takes a skill. It's almost like being a artist. Your painting will either look really good or a disaster. I rather PAY $20k for the right doctor who specializes in my hair type!

Just because a doctor shares your ethnicity, it doesn't mean they can automatically give you a great result. You have to base your decision on examples of their work with your hair type, if any.

For example, Dr. Bisanga is an African but I haven't seen a great number of results from him featuring African patients and certainly not using FUE.

Dr. Diep is of Asian descent but he's done good work on countless patients with African hair.

As for Dr. Umar, he's a good surgeon but he does lots of repairs of botched work and body-hair procedures.

You would do well to look at Dr. Mwamba. He's got lots of checkable track record with black hair types using both FUE and FUT, he's consistent, he's a consummate professional and he runs his clinic with near-military precision

• 4 weeks later...

To any African-American -since we're the ones exhibiting poor results from Dr.Vories- considering Dr.Vories, I implore you, I seriously implore you, to read through this thread, read through TygerD's thread, and contact me before making your decision.

I trusted Dr.Vories workmanship because he was recommended by this site. Don't let that be the determining factor in your decision like I did. Again, research and reach out. I don't want anyone to have to shell out nearly $10,000 for below average results like I did. PM me for details on my experience and post-op experience with Dr. Vories.