Dr. Meshkin 1500 grafts

Great work! Thank you for sharing.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Did the patient realize beforehand that this was a low number of grafts for the surface area? I ask because if I was in his shoes I would have preferred to fill in the area with more density, which would probably have been around 2500 grafts.

For the amount of grafts I think this is not bad. It looks like the right temple corner (his right) may have had some issue with yield though.

thanks for the comments. We usually give a minimum and maximum number of grafts to get optimum results. Th patient ultimately chooses the final number of grafts according to their budget. In addition, when Dr. Meshkin is designing the hairline and the temples and making the incisions in the recipient site, he always makes sure he pays attention to how the patient wants to style their hair and makes the sites accordingly.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Meshkin who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network.

thanks for the comments. We usually give a minimum and maximum number of grafts to get optimum results. Th patient ultimately chooses the final number of grafts according to their budget. In addition, when Dr. Meshkin is designing the hairline and the temples and making the incisions in the recipient site, he always makes sure he pays attention to how the patient wants to style their hair and makes the sites accordingly.

Thanks can you comment on what the minimum and maximum numbers recommended by the doctor were?

Yes in this case it was 1200 to maximum of 2000 grafts. If a client chooses to do the minimum it is with the understanding that additional surgery may be required to get the optimal density in the future. For those who are familiar with our work, we can get superb results with less number of grafts than other clinics.

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Meshkin who is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network.

Yes each doctor has their own system. Some doctors only use one hair units and therefore they may recommend 3000 grafts which amounts for 3000 hairs. In our office we use combination of one, two and three hair units. So in this particular case our 1500 grafts had a yeild of 3000 hairs. So it is important to not only look at the number of grafts but also the number of hairs in each case.

I'd love to see a closeup of the hairline with no flash. That's a very small number of grafts for a really large surface area, and I have a hunch that these pictures don't display what's likely a thin graft dispersal. I tend to be aggressive about hairlines myself, but I think 2,500 is a more realistic number for that square centimeter area.

But... if the patient's happy, he's happy. Well done.

thanks for the comments. My intention to showcase this patient was to show that if done properly, you can get virtually no scar line using the FUT or strip method. We use Trichophytic closure on all of our patients and as you can see even with short hair you can not detect the line.