Question about fin and hair transplant?

FergieFC

Hi, Just a question about fin and hair transplant. I got a a hair transplant last year in March 2013. It was a small operation only 1200 grafts on my hairline it grew in fairly nicely. I started fin in January this year since starting fin for the first 3 months everything was grand then I began to have a massive shed in month 4 and 5. Everything has stabled now and I'm not shedding anymore 6 months form today in. But one thing fin has done was it has thinned my transplant hair out so bad, it's not as thick as it was none of the hair shedded it's still there just not as thick as it was, also my whole body hair has thinned starting fin form the hair on my chest to the hair on my legs to my beard has thinned and some parts were there was hair there is no hair anymore on my body. Just wondering is this normal??

Thanks fergie

I wonder; is this a Fin issue or a separate hair cycle issue? Maybe the hair will get thicker in the coming months?

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Paulygon is a former patient of Dr. Parsa Mohebi

My regimen includes:

HT #1 2710 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in 2012

Rogaine foam 2x daily, since 2012 (stopped ~10/2015)

Finasteride 1.25mg daily, since 2012 (stopped ~12/2015)

HT #2 3238 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in Jun. 2016

Started Rogaine and Propecia in July. 2016 after being off of them for about a year.

I am one that has experienced some shedding of transplanted hair while on Fin.

Not related to DHT of course because the new hairs should be DHT resistant, but rather I believe due to a hormonal imbalance caused by this drug. Fin does alter your hormones, and seems to affect each person differently.

How is your overall health and sleep while on it btw? And what dosage and frequency are you using?

The only way to tell would be to sop Fin, and see if those hairs grow back.

However as you know shedding is a part of the overall process of taking the drug, and things usually settle and get better for most people. So probably best to stick it out.

Also, are there any other possible causes for your shed?

Using minoxidil, or using harsh shampoos like Nizoral more than once a week etc. can cause sheds

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Thanks lads for getting back to me. I thought that too, maybe it is a hormonal imbalance im going to give it to 12 months to see if it gets better, but at the moment my hair is actually worse since I started in January. But i have to say the hair that didnt shed is alot softer and kinda thicker but i shedded so much hair in month 4 and 5 it looks worse! I honestly don't really care about my body hair thinning but my beard hair is thinning so bad im kinda getting a baby face which sucks. And the fact my transplant hair has thinned out so bad on my left side of my head its kinda noticeable i got a hair transplant the hair is that thin which also sucks! Its kinda of annoying if it is a hormonal imbalance, two of my mates started fin around the same time i did and there hair is prefect now do you think the hormonal imbalance will ever subside?

Every time i do the "pull test" im pulling out 4 - 5 hairs with all white bulbs on the end of them. I have diffuse thinning fair hair. I'm taking proscar and sometimes when i cut it into quarters they aren't exactly the same size if that has got anything to do with it??maybe ill switch to the generic version of fin and be able to cut them exactly into quarters!

As far as my health goes i work out 4 times a week and play football. Get about 9 hours sleep a night and have a great food diet i eat like a horse!

Ive never used minoxdil during the 6 months i was on fin. but i have used lipogaine before around in August last year and honest i wasn't consistent with it i would use it somedays and stopped using it around December when i ran out that's how consistent i used it one bottle lasted me 4 months, but i was planing on starting rogaine on Monday, foam in the mornings and liquid in the evenings and sticking to it. If its a good idea thought ? Nizoral gives my scalp a really bad itch and i haven't used it in nearly 7 months i just use regular head and shoulders for the zinc in it.

Edited by FergieFC

Every time i do the "pull test" im pulling out 4 - 5 hairs with all white bulbs on the end of them.

Ughh.. that sounds like me.. I've been there.. sometimes, still I am.

Paulygon is a former patient of Dr. Parsa Mohebi

My regimen includes:

HT #1 2710 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in 2012

Rogaine foam 2x daily, since 2012 (stopped ~10/2015)

Finasteride 1.25mg daily, since 2012 (stopped ~12/2015)

HT #2 3238 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in Jun. 2016

Started Rogaine and Propecia in July. 2016 after being off of them for about a year.

Form what i understand with fin is that once it takes effect it restarts the "life cycle" (which i think is estimated to 6 years on the head?) of the hair follicles with more healthy hair.

However im not sure if that should apply to the transplanted hair since its not damaged to begin with due to its DHT resistance

interesting nickerian I dont remember hearing that theory.

also good to know is that different areas of your body have different sleeping cycles. some places 90% of your hair is awake while on some just 50%.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/148765-shedding.html

In all cases, treatments or no treatments, shedding is not actually "losing hair". This is one of the most common misconceptions in the world of hair loss. Shedding is in fact just the transition of follicles from growth phase to resting phase. They don't fall out and die, never to return. They in fact "go to sleep", to return several months later. Hair follicles work in cycles as part of their normal processes. Even the person not losing his or her hair goes through the same cycles. The hair will grow for awhile, and it will rest for awhile.