Polysporin on grafts in recipient area?

Hi, I just finished my second treatment with a new doctor. This doctor said that i should use polysporin, not just on the donor area, but also on the recipient area. Is this okay? Why would this be helpful? I just want to make sure I'm not hurting the grafts.

I think some doctors recommend an antibiotic ointment simply to loosen up the scabs and crusting

if you are 10-14 days post-op I don't think it could do much harm, if you were to use it for that purpose to gently massage off the scabs.

I wouldn't use it before 10 days but that's just me...

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Actually, I was told to start using 3 days after surgery. I'm on day 4 and I just put it on the first time today. Here's the problem: some people say not to use it but others say that it's essential to the healing process. Any other ideas??

tough call, always good to stick with your surgeon's advice but I've not heard of it being recommended that early and I've had multiple surgeries at some of the better places out there

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

Ahhh. Starting to panic a little now. Anyone else with any ideas?? I doubt that my doc would tell me something that would hurt his work. Can anyone else shed some insight??

who is your doctor?

go dense or go home

as he is not a collation doctor hard to comment on his post operative instructions

you were advised to go to a recommended surgeon and a search of Leonard and HTN does not really turn up any stellar comments or results

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164918-dr-leonard-ma.html

hard to make a call here

anyone else use Polysporin early on before the critical day 10?

go dense or go home

Leonard comes highly recommended. I did a lot of research.

When I googled different docs post ops advice, some also advised this (up to 4 times a day). Not saying I'd do that much, but apparently, some doctors say this is very helpful.

Anyone else?

Hey, 10 days in. I used the Polysporing, and i have to say, it worked great. After only 3 doses, the crusts basically slid right off after my morning wash. I'd recommend going forward. Forgive my (normal) immediate post-op jitters.

Just reading this now. Glad it worked out for ya. I was going to suggest you NOT put the Neosporin on the transplant area.

I researched a ton before my FUE and all the docs said Neosporin/Bactrin only on the donor area. Transplant area was just saline/indirect water esp because they are essentially open wounds and you want to keep lotions off of them. But again, it looks like Neosporin worked for ya, so congrats :)

If one trusts a doctor enough to have them perform a procedure then they should also follow the post-op guidelines as stipulated by said doctor. It only makes sense. However, it is also for your protection to do so because if for whatever reason the result is not satisfactory then you will be in a much more difficult position to discuss the reasons why if you cannot honestly state that you followed the post-op instructions to the letter.

I'm not referencing your doctor specifically, but rather this is a general guideline that I suggest everyone consider. It's for your own good.

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

If one trusts a doctor enough to have them perform a procedure then they should also follow the post-op guidelines as stipulated by said doctor. It only makes sense. However, it is also for your protection to do so because if for whatever reason the result is not satisfactory then you will be in a much more difficult position to discuss the reasons why if you cannot honestly state that you followed the post-op instructions to the letter.

I'm not referencing your doctor specifically, but rather this is a general guideline that I suggest everyone consider. It's for your own good.

I don't agree with the idea of blindly following your surgeon's advice just so you can win the debate of whether or not you followed the post-op instructions to the letter in the event of an unsatisfactory result. If I came on here seeking information because something didn't quite seem right with my surgeon's post-op instructions or it was out of step with what other surgeon's typically recommended, you better believe I'm going to challenge my surgeon on it.

3,425 FUT grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Nov 2013

1,600 FUE grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Dec 2018

I don't agree with the idea of blindly following your surgeon's advice just so you can win the debate of whether or not you followed the post-op instructions to the letter in the event of an unsatisfactory result. If I came on here seeking information because something didn't quite seem right with my surgeon's post-op instructions or it was out of step with what other surgeon's typically recommended, you better believe I'm going to challenge my surgeon on it.

Since21,

I did not make this point "just" so anyone can win a debate. It's common sense really and the point is for one's own protection.

The most important point is that it is a good idea to find out what the post-op instructions are BEFORE you choose your doctor and discuss them before you even have a procedure. It is at this time that one should question the post-op regimen, not after the procedure has already been carried out.

I agree 100% that if you are not completely comfortable with your doctor's post-op recommendations you should seek input elsewhere however it begs the question; if you trust your doctor enough to place thousands of holes in your head, why would you not trust his simple post-op instructions for those holes to heal to their fullest potential?

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I agree 100% that if you are not completely comfortable with your doctor's post-op recommendations you should seek input elsewhere however it begs the question; if you trust your doctor enough to place thousands of holes in your head, why would you not trust his simple post-op instructions for those holes to heal to their fullest potential?

As you know, it's a journey that takes place in real time. So while you're going through it, things come up. I'm always a little surprised that people come on here seeking information or advice about something they're experiencing before consulting their surgeon. But surgeons are human and don't necessarily have the answer or an adequate explanation/solution for everything. I also advise people to discuss alternative instructions with their surgeon before proceeding on a different course. Nothing wrong with that, and it doesn't mean you don't trust your surgeon or made a poor choice. I developed a severe case of dermatitis and informed my surgeon I was going to consult my dermatologist and he was cool with that, and I got his okay before I proceeded with my dermatologist's recommended treatment.

3,425 FUT grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Nov 2013

1,600 FUE grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Dec 2018

I certainly agree with Jotronic that following your doctor's individual advice is a good idea. There are many ways to "skin a cat" and different approaches can get equally good results. The one thing I would caution against is putting a thick coating of any ointment (Neosporin, Polysporin, Bacitracin, or even vaseline) on the grafts right away, as this can interfere with the necessary coagulation that occurs at the interface of the graft with the recipient site. We had an eyebrow patient several years ago who reminded me of this fact: She came into the office the next day for a hair wash and check of things, and she swept her hand over the eyebrow area and 25 grafts just slid out of their sites like greased pigs. Before that we had always applied Bacitracin immediately post-op. No longer. However, starting the next day, using a thin coating of one of these (I prefer either Bacitracin or plain Vaseline, since they have the least sensitizing ingredients in them. Neosporin is the riskiest because of the Neomycin) over the graft area once or twice a day. It is messy and that's why not a lot of people do it. But I'm convinced that, if a man wants the scabs gone the quickest way possible, that a twice daily coating of an ointment vehicle is the best way to go. To clean it off, say, for the morning shower, I recommend applying some baby oil first to help liquify the ointment, and then use Dawn detergent to get it all off. Then whatever conditioner the patient likes could be used. Creams are a lot cleaner and easier to use, but aren't quite as efficacious in scab removal. Our "default" routine in our practice is to apply Vitamin E/aloe cream every night to the grafted area and simply shower and shampoo every morning. Around 20% of our patients elect to purchase and use the Graftcyte kit with copper peptide. Although I've seen a handful of miraculous healing from this kit, I'm not convinced that it is superior to simply spraying a saline mist on the grafts every hour of the waking day, which we also give to each patient.

Mike Beehner, M.D.