When to start Minox, Finasteride and Supplements after HT

How soon after HT can we start to use:

1) herbal or other trace element supplements

2) topical minoxidil. What strength is safe in the early stages? When is 15% minox safe. I have used 15% with great success before my HT once the heavy shedding occurs. My only concern is 15% too strong early on?

3) when to start finasteride

thanks Logan

Hi Logan,

Make sure to check all this information with your hair transplant surgeon. Different doctors have differing rules when it comes to using medications in the peri-operative period.

Having said that:

1. You can likely use herbal supplements at any point in time.

2. 5% minoxidil is technically the only strength approved for hair loss. The most common rule for hair transplant surgery is stopping minoxidil 2 days before the procedure and resuming 7 days after.

3. Many physicians encourage the continual use of finasteride with hair transplantation. There is some anecdotal evidence that it helps minimize "shock loss." Please keep in mind, however, that both minoxidil and finasteride - if you are starting them for the first time or restarting after a long break - are associated with an initial 3-4 month shedding period.

Again, I really can't stress enough that you should ask your doctor all these questions. Most have strict post-operative instructions and you really want to follow these as closely as possible.

Good luck.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

thanks for replying future-doc, clearly no generalised answer can be given for minox as its dependent on the surgeon's technique used. Understood thanks.

I've cleared it with my Docs so all good. For my FUT op:

1) supplements were fine a few days post op, as soon as I feel well.

2) minox, 10 days post op

3) fin, 10 days post op

I personally started minox about 10 days after my HT.

I started Finasteride the same week (roughly a day or so after HT)

supplements can be started at anytime.

Paulygon is a former patient of Dr. Parsa Mohebi

My regimen includes:

HT #1 2710 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in 2012

Rogaine foam 2x daily, since 2012 (stopped ~10/2015)

Finasteride 1.25mg daily, since 2012 (stopped ~12/2015)

HT #2 3238 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in Jun. 2016

Started Rogaine and Propecia in July. 2016 after being off of them for about a year.