Dr. Wen-Yi Wu One session combination FUT+FUE of 4258 grafts

This Chinese patient wanted one session, as many grafts as possible. He has an average donor scalp laxity and hair density . He also has some beard, which is not quite common for most Chinese patients.

We performed Combination grafting which consisted of 3758 grafts FUT from the scalp and 500 grafts FUE from the beard. The post-operative picture was taken 15 months after.

Spliting of the grafts from FUT:

450 1-hair grafts

2102 2-hair grafts

300 3-hair grafts

906 cut to size grafts to fit in 19# needle

FUE Beard 500 grafts

Total number of grafts transplanted 4258 grafts

kuFIXBV.jpg

UQ0T27U.jpg

NvHjr25.jpg

actoPt5.jpg

LLUrZNg.jpg

mA2mDN2.jpg

GhceobV.jpg

Wen-Yi Wu M.D. FISHRS 吳文藝醫師

Fellow International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery

國際植髮醫學會 資深研究員

Diplomate ABHRS

American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery

美國植髮醫學會 專科認證

Taiwan Hair Transplant 台灣萌髮診所

8F, 21 Section 3, Nanjing East Road, Taipei, Taiwan

台北市南京東路三段21號8樓

Telephone: 886-225011383

www.hair7838.com

Email: wu@hair7838.com

Edited by TaiwanHair7838
Dr. Wen-Yi Wu is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network

Dr. Wu,

Nice work! Thank you for sharing. Also, do you have any close-ups of the healed beard region?

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Another point that needs special consideration.

For the Chinese and most Asian patients, 4000 to 5000 grafts are needed to cover from the frontal hairline, all the way back to the crown for class V patients. However, you need much more grafts to cover the same area for most Caucasians,

Dr. Wu

Your recipient areas looks amazing immediately post op, bravo. Also I love when doctors give great pieces of information as you did concerning Asian vs Caucasian patients.

You only live once...

Dr. Wu,

Thank you for sharing the additional information! I agree with Arrie: your work looks quite refined.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

There are five commonly accepted characteristics of hair that are important to consider. The surgeon must project mentally how these physical features of the hair will affect the transplant result.

1. caliber

The caliber of the hair shaft contributes most to the final fullness and perceived bulk of the transplanted result. An increase in hair diameter of a mere 0.01 mm increases hair bulk by an astounding 36%. The hair caliber varies greatly from one individual to another. In general, Asians have a thicker hair caliber than Caucasians.

2. Color contrast with skin

The less contrast between the color of the hair and skin, the less noticeable any alopecic gaps between hairs become. Put differently, the less the color contrast between hair and skin, the more even and the more natural the hair coverage appears to be, and, therefore, there is the illusion of more hair. Most Asians have black or dark brown hair, and this creates more contrast among those with light complexions, such as the Chinese, but would be less of a problem for darker skinned Asians, such as the Indian or Malay populations. This unfavorable color contrast of the Asians may be somewhat compensated by the larger hair caliber .

3. Curl

4. Wave

The more curl or wave to the hair, the denser and fuller the hair appears to be. A natural wave to the hair not only increases the naturalness but also increases the apparent fullness and density. Most Asians have straight hair, whereas this patient has slight curly hair which is not common.

5. Frizziness

Hair is said to be frizzy when it possesses a visibly irregular surface and, therefore, flows unevenly. The individual hairs lay "roughly " upon each other, with more space between them, and they thus give an appearance of increased density. In addition, the more frizzy the hair is, the more natural it looks, because alopecic spaces between hairs are blurred by the frizz.

This patient has thick hair , slight curly and frizzy hair. All these contribute to a good outcome.

This is pure awesomeness! Great job Doctor Wu! What are your prices for FUE. I am looking for 2000-2500 grafts. I definitely would consider coming to Taiwan since I'm in South Korea.

We charge 85 Taiwan dollars ( 2.80 USD ) per graft of FUT; and 150 Taiwan dollars ( 5.0 USD ) per graft of FUE. There is a sliding scale for grafts more than 2000 grafts. Thank you.

When comparing with Caucasians, Finasteride is less effective in Asians. However, we still recommend Finasteride to our patients suffering from Androgenetic alopecia. We tell our patients that the goal of taking the medicine is to slow down the hairloss process and to decrease the amount of hairloss. We rarely tell our patients that there will be obvious regrowth of new hair. As we found out that many patients stopped taking the medicine when regrowth are told. Only a small percentage of Asians noted regrowth.

When " NO CHANGE " are noted after one year, it means that the medicine is working.

To Johnboy 71,

I do perform FUE procedure. In my practice I try to limit to session 2000 grafts or below; and in mature patients in whom future sessions are not anticipated. In patients that need mega or giga sessions , FUE might end up with see-through effect, white walling or hypopigmentation of the donor areas. These complications are not easily corrected.

Since Finasteride is a DHT blocker , it would be reasonable to assume that DHT stimulates beard growth; blocking DHT (with finasteride) would tend to inhibit its growth. In practice, this does not seem to be the case, i.e. we don’t find that Finasteride has any affect on facial hair. The reason is not clear.