Scratching transplanted area in sleep - 2 months post op. Should I be worried?

Hi All,

I had my Hair transplant with Dr Radha on 14th Feb 2014 (2 and half month ago).

I am having lot of itchy feeling on my entire head. I hardly feel itchy during the day time, however during night times I get really itchy on the entire head. Morning when I wet my hand and move on the head, I notice a lot of fallen hair stuck to my hand. This tells me that I have scratched the head badly in my sleep.

Though I am not so worried about non-transplanted area, but I am really starting to get worried about the scratching in sleep on transplated area. Now that I am entering the growth phase and this is really bothering me.

Am I damaging off any grafts and hindering any growth? Is there any way I can avoid. Please suggest.

Thank you all for your help.

Hi All,

I had my Hair transplant with Dr Radha on 14th Feb 2014 (2 and half month ago).

I am having lot of itchy feeling on my entire head. I hardly feel itchy during the day time, however during night times I get really itchy on the entire head. Morning when I wet my hand and move on the head, I notice a lot of fallen hair stuck to my hand. This tells me that I have scratched the head badly in my sleep.

Though I am not so worried about non-transplanted area, but I am really starting to get worried about the scratching in sleep on transplated area. Now that I am entering the growth phase and this is really bothering me.

Am I damaging off any grafts and hindering any growth? Is there any way I can avoid. Please suggest.

Thank you all for your help.

is there any blood present with the hairs?

At 2 months there's no way you could harm the grafts. Growth should start around month 3-4. Good growing to you!

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

No blood. However I can see that the skin is irritated.. Can this anyway impact my growth because I am scratching it harshly?

I am considering to tie my hand while sleeping.. or wear a pair of boxing gloves..

The new grafts have long since been secured in the recipient area, so the risk of ripping them out and permanently damaging them is probably about the same as any other hair. You can still do damage, just not likely IMO. However the scratching can't be good for the skin in the recipient area that is still recovering.

The boxing gloves sound like a good idea if you can't control it.