Diffuse thinner here. Is it pointless to only take Minoxidil?

SogeKing100

I recently came to the realization that I was losing my hair, so you'll have to forgive me for my ignorance, and lack of understanding regarding correct terminology.

I was told I was a diffuse thinner (see my pics here: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/174961-am-i-good-candidate-hair-transplant-surgery-pics.html). Currently, I am living in Japan, but I may not be after a few months (next is maybe Spain). I don't know how prescriptions work, so I don't know if I'll be able to reliably get Propecia after I leave Japan. I understand that Minoxidil is sold over the counter, so I'm sure any pharmacy almost anywhere you go will sell it.

Currently, I'm not on or taking anything. I just don't want to start taking Propecia, and then have to stop after only a few months (that would be a waste).

I was told by a member of this board that there may not be any real benefits of taking only Minoxidil, as a diffuse thinner. I understand that taking Minoxidil in conjunction with Finastride is best, but I'm concerned it may not be an option for me.

So, my question is basically this; Would it be worth it for me to take only Minoxidil?

Thanks,

Soge

I wouldn't even think about hair surgery until you have given Propecia a chance. Minoxidil is great and despite people saying it has no effect on the underlying balding process, it does seem to have kept a lot of my hair in the many years I have been using it, even when I stopped Propecia for three years. I also use ketoconazole shampoo daily (although it's recommended use is 3 to 4 times a week) as this is meant to have a mild anti androgenic effect.

Yeah, without finasteride, I would not even think of getting a transplant. Even with it, you should wait some time to see if your hair loss is stabilized. Are your sides (donor area) thinning? I say this because like others have stated, I don't see any real proof that you are a diffuse thinner by the photos. If your sides are good and thick, you could just be developing an advanced pattern and a transplant in the future could be realistic for you.

I think minox does help, but not to the extent of propecia.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

• 2 weeks later...