Botox in strip scar

Aftermath

Why don't people get Botox in and around the strip scar in the first 1-2 months post op? It relaxes the muscles around the scar meaning less tension and also has an affect on fibroblasts to assist with the healing! There is a lot of research going into the use of Botox around areas of potential scarring! Anyone head of this/had this? Thoughts?

A standard strip would not involve any of the surrounding muscles, so no point in putting in a couple of hundred dollars of botox, which could of course diffuse and cause your head to cant forward. I do however suggest folks not try and stretch my scars for a while...meaning no bench press arching on my scars, no behind the neck lat pull downs, and limit neck flexion with abdominal crunches.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

A standard strip would not involve any of the surrounding muscles, so no point in putting in a couple of hundred dollars of botox, which could of course diffuse and cause your head to cant forward. I do however suggest folks not try and stretch my scars for a while...meaning no bench press arching on my scars, no behind the neck lat pull downs, and limit neck flexion with abdominal crunches.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

Thank you for taking the time to reply, IMHO you are probably the top doc for strip scar revisions in the entire world, so I couldn't ask for a more educated response! For me I have always noticed pain and stretching when I smiled following a strip, so I was alluding to the minor muscles just above the ears more than anything, would there be no benefit at all in relaxing these muscles? Also slightly off topic... When you stretch the area below the strip scar from continual strip procedures I have noticed a thinner appearance in the density, especially at the sides below the scar, is this something that can improve with revision or will it further worsen? I have this to some extent and I wondered if revision or FUE around the strip scar would be a better option? I'd really appreciate your input

Thanks for the complement.

The big muscle in front of and above your ear is your main chewing muscle...don't weaken that one. There are 3 little muscles around the ear that allow some people to wiggle their ears but they won't stretch a scar.

You are exactly right, density goes down in the donor region with successive strips/ or fues. That is why I tell people at their second case we'll get 500 or so few grafts than at the first case.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Thanks for the complement.

The big muscle in front of and above your ear is your main chewing muscle...don't weaken that one. There are 3 little muscles around the ear that allow some people to wiggle their ears but they won't stretch a scar.

You are exactly right, density goes down in the donor region with successive strips/ or fues. That is why I tell people at their second case we'll get 500 or so few grafts than at the first case.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

No problem... A compliment that I sincerely meant! So my best option at this point would probably be a small amount of grafts placed around the scar taken via FUE (beard/scalp) rather than a revision as this would further decrease the density? And yeah I was talking about the muscles that move my ears, as I get this when I smile and following a strip it can cause some discomfort so I assumed it'd be stretching if there was discomfort

• 2 weeks later...