Scar repair - Need help

Hi All,

I need your help. I am in a very sad moment because of this scar that has been caused due to the FUT. I got the FUT done in May 2013 and I was in NW6/NW7 already. This was done for 1800/2000 grafts and a PRP. But the doctor who checked my donor density never complained and said that we can go ahead with FUT and told me that FUE would be more expensive and the yield might not be great. The biggest blunder in my life.

Just after 3-4 months of the surgery I started noticing hair fall from the sides and back. I got to know by the hairs on the pillow. After 1 month or so I contacted the doctor and he said that you are thinning, but no need to worry. I kept on asking him about this. Because I was worried about the scar at this point of time.

He assured me that the hairs in that region will never fall. Even if it falls, it is because of stress and gave me the prescription Minoxidil and finasteride. I was taking these medicines right after the surgery also, but this time the doze was increased. On the same visit He advised me to go for another PRP. I got it done.

After 2-3 months, I am thinning a lot. But my transplanted hairs on top are not falling. Last week, one person was able to see the scar clearly, since my hairs were wet. From then I am just in front of mirror and even I am able to see through. And the problem is my hairs are very thin and soft. Unlike others, I am fine

with growing hairs, although I like the buzz cut. In spite of growing my hairs longer (hair growth is actually slow), the scar is very clearly visible in sunlight, sharp office light and when the hairs are wet.

Attached are the pictures - http://s1368.photobucket.com/user/nicksam086/slideshow/

Luckily I got only 1 FUT done. Width of the scar seems to be less but it is from ear to ear. 40 % of the scar is rough and rest is flat. It is whitish red. Although I read lot of content on these forums. I am not sure what to do.

Please note that I had never seen this kind of thinning before the surgery. Only after the surgery and a PRP in between, I am noticing this thinning.

1. Do you think this thinning is due to shock loss and things might improve a little later? Also in this period I travelled twice outside the country and had jetlag (I am mentioning it because I read somewhere jetlag might also be the reason for thinning) .And should I try some concealers like DermMatch.

2. For permanent solution, should I go with FUE into Scar? In that case, given that it works -

* Are there any chances that these scar grafts might fall in future?

* Even though the scar grafts fall along with the other hairs, will it at least change the color of the scar somewhat?

I am regretting a lot. Not because of the scar, but I never researched much before going for a FUT. Just 10-15 mins of googling would have changed my life altogether. I just trusted the doctor. Because, always I believed doctors are life saver, so just agreed to him, when he assured me that there wont be thinning on sides and back. He said that scar will be only visible if I shave it completely.

Please help me out to get back to normal life, I am still 28 and have lot of things to do in life.

Edited by nicksam086
Attached the pics

Attached are the pictures - Library Slideshow by nicksam086 | Photobucket

1. Do you think this thinning is due to shock loss and things might improve...

2. For permanent solution, should I go with FUE into Scar? In that case, given that it works -

* Are there any chances that these scar grafts might fall in future?

* Even though the scar grafts fall along with the other hairs, will it at least change the color of the scar somewhat?

OK, without having checked your pics I'll just give you my opinion

Shockloss

Yes, it will improve. Post-op is dreadful, especially that 'doldrums period' from day 30 to about 100. You have lost the interest, you are numb, and you look s%&t, and shock loss is a real bummer. You know HT clinics and their reps, until recently, said things to their clients like, 'Shock loss only affects a minority"!! lol (Now, with information so readily available they have to 'fess up more)

Grafts falling in the future

Yes, a chance but not likely

FUE into scar,

Yes, give it a try. It has helped me in some areas of my scars immensely. In other areas it has failed. Conclusion: pay money, wait, hope and if it failed, it was a wise risk. BUT don't expect FUE to blend in your scars completely, even partially.It will help if it works, that is a fact.

Color of the scar is partially determined by the light it is exposed to and the amount of 'shade' provided by surrounding hairs. Would FUE into the scar change the color of the scar tissue that has formed? I doubt it, but perhaps vascular changes might put more pink into it. I would ask an HT clinic that one.

Consider SMP too. IMO, but choose wisely. NHI? HIS is conservative, which is great, but many of their clients request successive touch ups because their initial session fades. Don't trust immediate post-procedure pics of SMP. The situation changes drastically after six weeks, usually in the direction of fade. After six months, we start to see spread in some cases which have not faded. So fading might not be bad. Scars suck up a lot of ink. Ink just gets sucked becomes blotchy or just disappears more compared to virgin skin.

Your story is one of thousands, tens of thousands who get told strip is better and sign up for a strip scar. Too bad. But let the new life start and make you a better man, even if you are already good.

Thanks for the response, scar5. Could you please have a look at my pictures. I have no hair left around my sides and back. Looks pathetic. Had it been immediately after surgery, I would not have worried much. I would have assured myself that it is due to shockloss. But in my case I am now 10 months post op. I had a PRP 3 months back.Does PRP also causes shock loss. And do you think I should consult a doctor. I am in NYC now, was considering Dr Bernstein or Dr Feller. And whom do you suggest for FUE into scar?

Even with your hair wet and you pulling it back it is hard to see your scar. It would be helpful if you are seeking advice to see your hair in its natural state (not wet and not pulling it back around the scar)

But from the one picture where the scar is barely visible, I am of the opinion you don't need to do anything about it. After spending years on these forums one thing I have learned is that people obsess over their looks to the point where they grossly exaggerate the extent of their problem. And often times, there isn't even any problem. And this can then cause a real problem as they panic and rush into having a repair procedure, oft times creating a problem when one didn't exist before.

I can't offer any surgical advice based on your pictures.

Thanks for the response.

Since I am a diffuse thinner, with the current rate of shedding, I am sure that I will end up with no hairs. For now, the scar is not visible. But it is clearly visible when I sweat or when the hairs are wet. I tried to get better pictures, but the scar is not visible in the pictures.

I had consultation with a few doctors here in NYC, due to diffuse thinning, they are not sure about FUE into scar. Since you have done the treatment with Dr. Umar, do you think I should try there? His website has a blog about HT for diffuse thinners. And I have seen a case, where he performs transplant on sides and back. And if you don`t mind could you please pass me the link to the before and after pics of your scar repair with Dr.Umar.