FUT/ Strip vs FUE lifetime donor supply

Dav7

I'm wondering if one provides more lifetime grafts than the other, and if so - by how much? Or do both have the capacity for yielding the average of 6,000 - 8,000 grafts, regardless of which procedure the patient chooses?

Also, is there any logic in the theory of been "stripped" out through FUT and then getting a little bit more through FUE - would this be the best case scenario for receiving as many grafts as possible. Or again, does it make little difference, and one is still limited to 6-8000 grafts.

Thank you

If you're going to only stick with only one or the other, I believe FUT will allow for more absolute maximum grafts. With FUE you shouldn't harvest more than 25-30% donor density but with FUT you can harvest about 100% of whatever you cut out. The obvious downside to maximizing grafts with a huge FUT (or repeated ones) is your head will get awfully cut up.

I believe it makes more sense to start exhausting your donor grafts first with a top notch FUE doctor, then later on if you do in fact want more and are unable to do more FUE you can resort to FUT or body hair.