2 weeks on finasteride and shedding.

rab

I take a generic Finasteride, it's blue with a 37 on it and its 5mg, I split it into 1/4 and then take a nibble out of that 4th everyday so I am trying a little, about .7mg a day.

Well I am 2 weeks in and shedding a lot; thin, thick, short and long hairs.

Normally when i wash my hair i have 1 or 2 hairs in my hand and maybe lose about 10 hairs that i notice and now it seems double that, and i notice hairs falling out thou out the day.

I only suffer from a receding hairline and I am 32 years old and have never tried anything for hair loss except Nizoral twice a week. I have been slowly losing the hair around my temples for 5 years and within this past year I have started to notice the middle part of my hairline thinning. Most people I talk to about this say my hair does not look thinning. But I notice it.

I would not expect this to happen with such a small dose and only 2 weeks in, I am starting to worry.

I think 2 weeks is too short to see a shed or change directly related to Fin as it usually takes several months.

Could be a seasonal shed with warming temps, or even related to Nizoral

Keep an eye on it though, if it continues with prolonged major sheds with no other likely cause then reassess your use of the drug.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

just washed my hair and put most of the hairs that fell out in my hands on the side wall of the shower and counted 34 of them not to account for the ones that fell to the ground.

this seem like a lot of hairs to lose, this friday i will be at the 3 week mark.

i only wash my hair 2 times a week but still wet it most nights when i shower but not every night.

They say up to 100 a day is normal, but I consider anything over 50 a day total showering and grooming and pillow "a shed" in my case. What is the caliber of the hair like, thin & miniaturized or thick hairs shedding?

The problem is it's too early to tell anything at all as it takes months or even one year to see if Fin really works or not. Kind of sucks

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

They seem to be mostly thick hairs, short and long ones.

I also do a test where i get a super fine comb and comb my hair forward for exactly 1 minture over the sink and count the hairs, that count is usually 8 to 12 hairs before i started and it is the same now.

I have been doing this test for a few months maybe once a week, i read that a normal person who is not losing hair has about 10 hairs in 1 min..

hairs growing on your hands is usually a side effect of Minox rather than Fin

go dense or go home

hairs growing on your hands is usually a side effect of Minox rather than Fin

ok, well i also notice a few pimples on my head/in my hair, also most of the hairs i shed seem to be thick.

just counted 68 hairs, mostly, if not all thick ones put them on the shower wall as i washed my hair, still only on a small dose and now on the 5th week of fin?

Hi, rab

First, would like to mention that the results from using Finasteride meds can be seen after the 3rd month of use.

I agree that it is better to start any treatment at the early stage, but it seems that you panic about your hair loss.

You see there are many things that could cause your hair shed: overshampooing, towel drying, chemicals that you may use for its styling, etc. A great role plays your diet that should be rich in proteins, vitamins B and A, as well as iron, copper and iodin. Try to find the reason and it would be easier to fight the problem.

thanks, i would like to get on some vitamins or eat the correct foods to help my hair.

the shedding is kinda scary, dont know if im losing ground or if its helping.

BD makes a great point

Any loss or gains until the three month mark (at least) are just incidental. You'll have to stick it out and endure any sheds which is something that I also do not like about this drug

go dense or go home

I agree with hsrp, I don't think 2 weeks is enough time to correlate the shed to Finasteride.

Paulygon is a former patient of Dr. Parsa Mohebi

My regimen includes:

HT #1 2710 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in 2012

Rogaine foam 2x daily, since 2012 (stopped ~10/2015)

Finasteride 1.25mg daily, since 2012 (stopped ~12/2015)

HT #2 3238 grafts at Parsa Mohebi Hair Restoration in Los Angeles in Jun. 2016

Started Rogaine and Propecia in July. 2016 after being off of them for about a year.

• 1 month later...

Stress is a common cause for hairloss, if you stress about loosing hair you will actually loose more. eat healthy food (junk food is your enemy)

Dont be to ruff with your towel.

If you have long hair like me, remember to comb from the edges and work yourself into the scaly not form the scalp and out, if you put your hair in towel make sure its not pulling your frontal hair (heavy towel)

Use good shampoo and conditioner (while you are not using Nizoral)

-----------------------------------

They usually have specific vitamin tablets you can buy for your hair and nails and skin (since its combined) so you know that you get everything you need

example

vitamin

E,b1,b2,b3,b5,b6,b7,b12

sink, copper and so on

-----------------------------

Remember Nizoral should only be used twice a week (as i understand)

I cant say much about how fast fin should take effect but i know that it was very rapid for me, however i started minoxidil and Nizoral on the same time and it have just been 1-2 months for me and i noticed shedding already, not much but its noticeable while combing and shower.