Which size follicles shed first and time for shedding?

I would like to find out which size follicles shed first?

Do the single hair follicles go first, the 2 hair, or the 3 hair follicles?

Also is there a correlation between the size of the transplanted hair follicles and the time at which they are shed?

The time period for transplanted grafts to shed is between 2-6 weeks.

Is it possible to shed grafts earlier, like 1 1/2 weeks or later 7 weeks?

Thanks.

take care...

I went through a shedding period for the time frame you mentioned. Different zones shed at different times for me, but some held on and never shed.

Some of my singles held on longer, but most in my hairline disappeared first. And I was balder for the doldrums than I was before...

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

mmhce,

I'm not sure there is a scientific study on this however, allow me to provide an explanation of grafts verses follicles that might help you postulate a new and better question.

Understand that each hair has it's own follicle. That means a 2 haired follicular graft would have 2 follicles and a 3 haired follicular grafted would have 3 follicles, etc. Determining what is and isn't a follicular unit has to do with their proximity to one another. But they never share the same follicle. As a result, it's possible that one hair of a three haired follicular unit will shed while the other two remain in tact for longer.

To answer your last question - yes, it's possible for some of the hairs to shed sooner or later than the typical 2 to 4 week time period. In fact, some of the hair may not even shed at all and continue to grow.

Best wishes,

Bill

quote:

some of the hair may not even shed at all and continue to grow

Every patients dream! But seldom happens...

I believe it happened to me, but I can't be sure.

But you must remember that even if the transplanted hair does not shed within the specified 2-6 weeks time that it is expected to, it WILL shed eventually in keeping with its cyclic behaviour.

take care...

Originally posted by bash77:

Are there many on this forum who experienced no/little shedding? That must be pretty amazing!

bash77,

This sounds like a whole different topic that should ideally be dealt with by starting a new topic thread.

take care...

It's been two weeks since my procedure. I use vitamin E oil to combat the dry scalp that is common after surgery. Every time I apply it many many baby hairs come out. They are each in single units.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Wong

715 grafts at Bosley, 2004

3238 grafts by Dr.True, Mar 2008

3393 grafts by Dr. Wong, Jul 2009