cleaning off scabs and crusts

klyfer

It has been 13 days since I had my FUE transplant. The problem I am worried is I am going back to work next week and the scabs on my scalp is still very much visibile and havent gone off. They seem to be very stubborn. I cant wear a cap to office as it would be inappropriate plus I dont want my colleagues to know I had a HT. I went to see my doc today and he said I should rub off the scabs. When I rub off the scabs I notice there is some hair with it too but I was informed its nothing to worry about. I would like to know if anyone had rubbed off scabs by themselves and later on had a good result of grown hair on the transplanted area? Or is it better to let them fall themselves in time?

Have you been spraying with saline and gently massaging the graft site while shampooing to soften and loosen up the scabs? They should be coming off around now. Mine were completely gone by day 12.

3,425 FUT grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Nov 2013

1,600 FUE grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Dec 2018

Scabs at 13 days is often a sign of being a little too light fingered with the washing.

We recommend from day 8 the patient wash and massage the scalp when wet and massage with the weight of the fingers and using the tips in circular motion to break down any crusts and if possible 2 x a day and this will really speed up the healing process and break down the crusts and scabs as you do. It will feel like grit coming off the scalp and this is part of the process.

If first surgery then some are understandably scared to massage but it really needs to be done and as said at day 13 should have a pretty clean scalp, so don't be shy but massage and was well to speed up this process.

Hairs coming off is not an issue, it is the normal process for them to do so as you wash and the graft as such is safe.

Of course, see your own clinic for their specific advise also with regards to washing and all the best.

I represent Dr. Bisanga.

Dr. Christian Bisanga is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network

It typically looks like beard stubble until it begins to shed (at 1-2 months). Most of it will shed, but some will not and continue to grow.

3,425 FUT grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Nov 2013

1,600 FUE grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Dec 2018