FOX testing?

fuegg

Hi all,

I am going to have a 4K+ FUE in a few days. I did some research beforehand and chose my doctor, however just in the past few days I learn about something called FOX testing that tells you if you are a good candidate or not. My doctor never mentioned anything about such test and he is proceeding directly with the FUE surgery. (I do get blood tests, but not FOX).

I also found some articles that say wavy/curly like mine hair tends to be difficult for FUE and could have a bad FOX score. Most articles about FOX are old and it this FOX tests seems to originate from long time ago.

Is the FOX test outdated or is my doctor skipping steps here? What's the latest word on wavy/curly hair FUE difficulties?

Thanks for any comments.

Hi FUE,

If I recall correctly, the "FOX test" was something developed by Dr. Rassman and Dr. Bernstein during their early experimentation with FUE. Back then, they called the procedure "FOllicular unit eXtraction" or the "FOX procedure." They used the FOX test to determine whether or not you were a candidate for their FOX procedure. This test was performed during a time period when the FUE extraction processes were less refined and the final yield from FUE procedures was significantly less than traditional strip. Because of this, tests and evaluations to determine candidacy were important. As new tools were invented and surgeons became more skilled and versed in the procedure, FUE became much more predictable and this type of analysis became less necessary.

Today, I'm not certain it is necessary to undergo a FOX test before FUE. The vast majority of FUE surgeons posses the ability to analyze the patient's scalp and offer excellent results - to appropriate candidates - without such tests.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Future-HT-Doc is correct. Most physicians will not do a "test" (most don't call it "Fox" test) unless they have concerns on healing or ease of extractions. We'll generally do a test on the ease of extractions on African American patients because the hairs tend to be very curly like a "C" shape.

4K grafts is a lot of grafts in one session of FUE. Is it over 2-3 days? I assume your physician feels the extractions should be easy on you.