2371 grafts with Dr. Steven Gabel on Feb 19th

Just done with the HT by Dr. Gabel and am two weeks post up. Onto my past.... there were times..probably even 4 years before, where people use to envy on seeing my hair..dense, long, black, dances with air etc. I have a baldness history...my Dad and Grandpa were almost completely bald when they were 30. Owing to my profession, i moved to a different place from the one where i was staying 2 decades...and thats when it all started, which was unstoppable. The only reason i could predict was the change in water....May be something else too.....Oh and btw, i am from India.

Back from the story.....I was constantly hunting for a year or more on whether or not to opt for an HT and the best surgeons around. Moved to Portland, OR a month ago and felt it would be too late if i prolong. But it just took me less than a week to figure out that Dr.Gabel is the man here and all i saw & am seeing are only positive words about him. Had an initial consultation and he suggested for a 3000+ grafts but later i got it shrunk to 2500 owing to obvious financial reasons. I knew that HT is not as critical or alarming as other surgeries but when i skimmed through his pre & post-op instructions, i sensed the excessive need to exercise care on ourselves by ourself.

Had three sessions on the big day. There were some "Ouch" and "Oops" during the numbing and punching but other than that the day went quite normal to my great surprise. Thanks to Gabel... he made it look easy with his expertise and humorous exchanges..well supported by his assistants too. And i was constantly monitored for my blood pressure, pulse etc, which made me feel even better. He was kind enough to drop me back to my home. Had slight bleeding from the donor area, as it should supposed to be. But other than that, no big deal. Had a little bump on my left forehead on the fourth day but went off by Day 5. I was constantly spraying saline solution for every 2-3 hours to let not the scalp go dry and to remove the crusts & scabs. Went to second post-up checkup around Day 9 and was told that i need to be aggressive on my scalp to remove those black & white. I was just skeptical as that was pulling down some hairs or grafts(?) along with the crusts/scabs, when i do so. The post-up instruction said Day 7 -21 i should soak the grafts in water for 30 mins or so to remove them..but thank the Good god & Gabel's handwork...all crusts got removed by Day 12, which is confirmed by Dr. Gabel himself when i was there for removing the sutures (Tuesday, the 4th). He said the result now looks exactly like the way he wanted and i am happy to hear it...And also the scar on the donor area is almost near to 100% healing.

Now, as anticipated, i am experiencing shock loss albeit i am unsure if those are the grafts or my native hairs. Just had my hairs on the sides & back cut short (concealed the scar though) to make it an evenly appearance. And as for everybody...now comes the hardest part...WAITING...wish i could do a fast forward though. Also i need to ask him if i can/should use minoxidil to speed up the growth and to prevent the native hair from falling. I am uncertain though...will it add up to the shedding of my grafts & native hair, which already has begun...? Coz, I don't want to lose anymore...any further..whatsoever..:)

If Dr. Gabel is seeing this...Hey Doc, can you post some pre-op, post-op pics of mine?

Wishing myself to write another success story of Dr. Gabel in another 6 months.

I would blindly refer him for any HT questions that i might receive, without a second thought. I have not made a good choice but a best one, i feel...:)

Yes, and so the wait begins!

It is my understanding you can start using Minoxidil again 2 weeks post op, and you don't need to even stop Fin.

Try not to look in the mirror too much over the next 3 months!

I had ED with Finasteride when i tried it for a few days long while ago and the i stopped it. Gabel suggested Minox...but i am unsure on when to start.

Can it be applied directly to the grafts area...?

I had a procedure due with Dr Gabel on Feb 21th. Mine is doing well! It was my 3rd one with him. It was just to thicken the first area's done.

Complete confidence in Dr Gabel for sure. My others were in 2007 and 2008.

SO happy I have had them done!

Thought of posting the pics...these are the pre-op and immediate post ops

Looks awesome! Right there you will get some great hair !

I think Dr. Gabel is as good as can be! The total package Hair Doctor! Great on the hair job then great on the sew up too.

Just a little white line for evidence it was even done!

Looks wonderful on the start!

Thanks HtS. And yeah..Gabel made it as easy as it could be. I am planning to get him inspect me by mid of this week..being the 3rd week post-up.

They say...just let the 3 months go off...but which is not easy as it seems to be :)

Ok..just back from Dr. Gabel's clinic. 3 weeks post-up. Some grafts seem to be growing and my native hairs too started off.

And i was told that i can start using Minoxidil 5% twice a day. The foam is amusing as it seems to dry instantly and doesn't make the head look like a shining marble.

Now this looks very serious....

I applied minoxidil 5% foam for the first time and to my great shock almost 20-25 hairs/grafts came out sticking to my hand. I know it causes some initial shedding. But this "instant" effect really worries me....:(

Is this a normal sign or a serious concern...? Hope for some answers

Original work looks very clean! you can tell he trained under Dr. Konior

(they both literally "wrote the book" on hair restoration -> Hair Restoration, An Issue of Facial Plastic Surgery Clinics, Raymond J. Konior, Steven P Gabel)

I don't use Minoxidil for various reasons, but maybe one of the other members can comment

Is this your first time using?

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

Yes hsrp10...I mean i used the oil long time ago, probably some 3 years back and that too only for a 3 weeks. I saw some new thick hairs growing and yes...there was shedding also. But not this instant....

This is really worrying me...