New Study Finds Low Level Laser Therapy (LLLT) May be Effective Hair Loss Treatment

Blake Bloxham

Did a new study find that Low Level Laser Therapy (LLLT) is actually an effective hair loss treatment?

For a number of years, low level laser therapy (LLLT) has been a controversial subject in the field of hair restoration. Some physicians believe LLLT – both as an at home treatment and a therapy offered in a medical office – is an effective hair loss therapy and recommend it to their patients; others do not think it offers any benefit and believe the science behind laser treatment is lacking. However, a new study reevaluated laser therapy as a hair loss treatment and came to a conclusion that may help shed light on the ongoing controversy: LLLT may – in fact – be an effective hair restoration treatment.

Interested in reading more? To review additional information and read the interesting conclusions from the study, please see the following post from our Hair Loss Q&A blog: New Study Shows LLLT May be an Effective Hair Loss Treatment.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

With the study being funded by a company that makes a laser, I am still very skeptical. I would love to see an independent study done that is that large, and also a continued study for efficacy.

Interesting read, but it just does not hold a lot of weight IMO. Hopefully they will do further studies in an independent format.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Hi Spanker,

I agree; there is a conflict of interest with regard to funding. However, I still do think it is probably the biggest and best designed study on LLLT to date, and they definitely came up with some interesting findings. Like you said, hopefully it will be repeated.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

As someone, who has had two HT's, the laser has taken my somewhat unnatural hairline and overall hair density to a new level. What I mean by this is that my HT hairline now looks natural... Is it super dense-no. But, it looks good...No more roving eyes at my hairline. And honestly, I still can't believe how much better my hair looks. 8 minutes on Mon, Wed, & Friday that's it...

On a side note, you will shed some to a lot of hair when you first start using this device. I know I did in my hairline-did not look good. In addition, it is best to use the device in a completely dark environment, like your bathroom and go very slow per the instructions. I also take collagen supplements with a very low Dalton weight, that in my opinion, have helped me. Make sure to speak to your doctor first before embarking down this road.

In closing, I hope this device helps you as much as it has helped me.

Best,

M1A1, you are the first person who I have heard say that they had positive results using LLLT. Is it possible it is just a placebo? I am in the boat that tends to think LLLT is a gimmick that cons use to make some money on people who want to believe it could be this easy.

Patriot,

I have been observing my hair for a while now and as someone who has taken Propecia since 1998 and has had 2 transplants- I know the difference between placebo and real results...For me, the results are real...

In hindsight, I wish I started using this device earlier. Unfortunately, I followed the herd and did not even bother to try-big mistake on my part. But, that is water under the bridge. I am happy with my results after using this device now for about 9 months-Actually, and based on the study, I too started seeing the results around the 6 month mark.

Ultimately, we all have a choice whether or not we choose to use this device, Propecia, supplements, 5%Foam or use a multi-modal approach or not. Patriot, you do what you think is best for you.