Definite Scar Stretching: 6 months, #3 Buzzdown

youngsuccess

The portion of the scar behind my ear is pretty thin for the most part, but the closure in the conventional donor area in the back definitely stretched:

SCAR2.jpg

SCAr.jpg

Trying not to dwell on it, as I'm only two months post-op, but something definitely is up. I'm thinking I slept on it weird or something, since I remained at an angle for several weeks after the initial healing period. Is it possible that this created some kind of pull on the scalp?

-------

All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my My Hair Loss Website

I had a similar look for a while, and it wasn't until the redness went away that things "settled down" into an adequate look that I wasn't expecting given how "stretched" it seemed before (this took me like ~9months, if I remember aright).

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

• 4 weeks later...

Your scar is a bit wider and redder than the norm. BUT, you are at 2 months on a redo apparently. ALL scars look there worst at 6-8 weeks. It will almost certainly improve.

I'd suggest checking in with your doc and let them take a look. An in-person exam is WAY better than looking at a pic.

Free advice, take it for what its worth.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

My scar looked similar on one side the first few months. now i can't even find it. even if it did stretch there's nothing your doc can do about it right now, so just relax and give it a few more months.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

I'm at 2 months and my scar looks exactly like yours. Thinner on the sides and wider at the back. I actually was also thinking that maybe I had stretched my scar by the way I was sleeping.

Hopefully once the redness fades it will be less of a concern.

• 2 months later...

The scar has improved dramatically over the past few months. The first picture is of the donor area after a haircut buzzed down to a #4 (couple days ago); the one to the right of that is the exposed scar currently. The bottom left pic is at two months, the one opposite at 5 1/2.

Next month I'm buzzing down to a #3 and I'll share the results. If it's acceptable, I'm going to go for a #2 with the expectation that there will be definite detectability, but I've used hair mascara during my donor shock period with success, so we'll see what happens.

donor.JPG.d03cf05c44f938010989eb04fee92b36.JPG

-------

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, buzzed down with a #3 guard on the clippers. I am pleasantly surprised considering how much I assumed the scar had stretched several months ago. Don't get me wrong: there is still some detectability. However, it's not as profound as I had feared. Plus, I'm hoping that the scar will continue to fade and that maybe even some of the remaining shocked hair will return (although I believe most of it has).

Basically from a head-on glance at the back, all is normal. Coming in at different angles you get the "hat-head" look, a little patchiness and some mild dicoloration. And it's mostly the area under the scar, not the actual scar itself. But again, at 6 months I think it's promising. Also the area on the side of my head is basically 100% undetectable in my opinion, the concern is mainly in the conventional donor area. I have confidence that I'll be able to go down to a #2 and have an acceptable look with the help of some hair mascara, which I will be doing and sharing soon.

I recently also realized something important: despite my scar I still have the option, to SOME degree, to buzz down. So I'm done with strip. I DID experience some scar stretching. But it could have been disastrous, and it wasn't. Too unpredictable for me to mess with anymore though. FUE from this point on (including in the donor scar), and if signs of significant loss start to loom over me, the plan will be FUE with the intention of keeping a closely buzzed head.

Use the magnifying tool to see up close.

Donor6months.thumb.JPG.d57905a609431cba7a4a169e32322594.JPG

-------

youngsuccess,

Overall, that's great news. Your scar does look a whole lot better at 6 months and not nearly as obvious. I also think it will continue to improve over the next 6 months.

I think this post is a great reminder for those in the early stages concerned about donor shock and/or stretching - that evaluating a scar early is premature.

Keep us posted.

Best wishes,

Bill