propecia sides already

greenmud

So after a year of contemplating taking propecia or not for my hair loss I finally decided to take it. I have been on rogaine for six months and it really didn't help with regrowth and probably slowed down the loss. I know I am not bald but I am thinning to the point that it bothers me, I know my crown is getting very thin and based on its current rate it probably be bald in about a year. I ruled out the idea of hair transplant right now because of the cost and the fact that I keep my hair real short on the sides and the back so it would be hard to conceal the scar, also probably my future baldness extent would not be help by a FUE. So I said ok I know there is now about a 50/50 shot that propecia will work and not give me sides. I saw the dermatalogist on Friday before memorial day weekend, and this is actually the second dermatalogist I saw, the first one I saw six months ago and he just read everything out of the Merck playbook. The second dermatalogist was more real about the side effects and he explained that in his experience about 20-30% of his patients incur some of the sexual side effects. He also mentioned the he currently take propecia and he himself does not incur any side effects. Based on a more real and candid conversation I decided to go for it as this my last ditch effort to save my hair or shave it. So amazingly enough the sides hit right away its been less then a week and my libdo is down. Now I don't have depression, brain fog, or anxiety or anything like that, I am still the same go happy guy that I always am but the sexual sides hit me. Its harder for me to get an erection and maintain one, it also doesn't feel as hard either but not sure if thats true. I can't believe in about 5 days I already have the sexual sides, its fustrating. So now I am at another cross road, should I continue to take propecia and see what happens for a couple of more weeks or should I realize that this drug does not work for me. Also no pain in testicles or anything like that, its just harder for me to stay erect. Has anyone hear had the sides continue with the drug and the sides eventually went away that they got their libdo back??

I had sides the first day I took the drug, so it shouldnt come as a shock. However, you should stick it out a month or so to see if they fade. In my case they never really did completely, in some instances it was quite tolerable and mild, but sometimes it wasn't. So give it a month and see if you're body will adjust. I've read several people on here who experience some sides right away, and they diminished after a month or so....

Some people persist and their bodies adjust. So you could try that.

I got sides within a week, too. I didn't want to risk my sex life, plus I had a girlfriend who was soon leaving for overseas (permanently) so I quit immediately.

If you're single and don't get action all that often, I suppose you could try to ride it out.

I'd actually be interested to know your results. If it works, I might go back on it and try to ride it out.

Was it trademark Propecia? Or Finasteride?

XXY,

So when you quit the drug did you go back to normal? And how long did it take? As to clarify I can still get erect and perform just I don't have that urge to where before I was always ready to go. I think for right now I am going to stick it out, its only been five days so maybe my body does need to adjust plus I spent over $200 for propecia, its the name brand and I got it at CVS no online pharmacy. If this persist for another two weeks that I will probably quit and face the reality. I will keep you posted.

Yes I am off of it now for about 3 weeks... i quit twice.. was on it for about 8 months quit taking it.. and in about a week i was back to normal.. then i started taking a small dosage .25 everyday and had sides withtin 5 days.. so then i stoppped.. and its taking longer for me to get back... its been 3 weeks now :-(

Brentipold,

Sucks to hear that you didn't have any luck. I will go for a couple of more weeks and see what happens, luckily my brothers gf is doctor and she is helping me with monitoring my problem. She recommends another week or two on and if I still have problems she says definitely get off the drugs. Hopefully things subside, if they don't bye bye hair, doh!

Originally posted by greenmud:

XXY,

So when you quit the drug did you go back to normal? And how long did it take? As to clarify I can still get erect and perform just I don't have that urge to where before I was always ready to go. I think for right now I am going to stick it out, its only been five days so maybe my body does need to adjust plus I spent over $200 for propecia, its the name brand and I got it at CVS no online pharmacy. If this persist for another two weeks that I will probably quit and face the reality. I will keep you posted.

Took about 3 weeks to get back to normal. I could still get hard, but it wasn't as "strong" and it took a bit more work. It certainly wasn't how I usually am.

Like Brentipold, I'm thinking about restarting on a lower dose, although I'm pretty happy with Rogaine at the moment.

I might try 1/4 of a proscar once a week or something.

ok so latest update, the sides have started to ween off if thats possible. The ability to get hard is not as challenging as before and maintaining is not being an issue. Also the watery semen is starting to fade. maybe my body is adjusting to it, based on this i will continue taking the drug. I am thinking though of reducing the dosage since I have plenty of hair and looking to maintain, but i think i will do that after six months. I will keep posting every so often to update on sides or no sides. I think its helpful since propecia is a drug that people have so many mix reactions to it.

good to hear green....hopefully your body is adjusting to the meds...keep in mind tho, since like you said there are so many mixed reactions, the sides might return and fade and return again.. which is what happened in my case.. i'd have a good week or two, then a bad week..

I took it for the first time before going to bed and I guess it's to early to know, but I woke up with a boner. No prob in this, but did felt a lil weird when going to bed. If someone says the word and maybe I can pin point it. I took it again this morning and let see how it goes.

So its been over two weeks on propecia and the sides continue. Sometimes it gets better and sometimes it gets worse. This similar to your situation brentipold, it sucks but what can you do. I am still going to press through for another two weeks, my brother's GF recommends to give it a full month, if the sides don't subside or things don't get back to normal that I am going to have to face it that I am not a good candidate for propecia. Also these sides are not just in my head as people believe, for one thing I no longer have morning wood which is the first sign of ED problems, if I had morning wood then I can contribute to performance anxiety or being in my head. I hope its gets better causing losing hair sucks as well know. I also find it ironic that the one drug proven to work had to have the one side effect that guys can't live with, its like God is playing a cruel joke on bald people. Doh!

hey man, sorry to hear you are still having sides... and yes your situation seems to be a lot like mine, althought i would get morning erections most times which is odd. just try and stick it out a little longer, maybe things will improve..and yes i also find it quite ironic

i switched from propecia to avodart for about 10 days. no sides or minimal sides with propecia since i've been on it since 1997.

with avodart i experienced a tremendous loss of libido, inability to get an erection, no morning wood, and emotional. i stopped and am now starting to function better. back on propecia.

what really sucks is that losing my hair indirectly causes my libido to decrease because of the anxiety. when my girlfriend runs her hands through my hair while being intimate, i start thinking about how many hairs might have just fallen out. sucks.

Using Propecia since 1997

Using Rogaine Foam once a day since 2012

Using Niazoral 2% once a week since 2012