Are miniaturizing hair lost once you shave your head?

sheraz104

I shaved my head with a razor about a month ago. Yesterday, I went to hair transplant clinic for consultation and the doc told me that i've made a mistake by shaving my head with a razor as it halts the growth of miniaturizing hair because once shaved below the skin level they do not remain strong enough to penetrate out of the skin. (i'm on fin since june '13 and was hoping that some of my miniaturizing hair would get thick.)

Do you think the doc is right?

I shaved my head with a razor about a month ago. Yesterday, I went to hair transplant clinic for consultation and the doc told me that i've made a mistake by shaving my head with a razor as it halts the growth of miniaturizing hair because once shaved below the skin level they do not remain strong enough to penetrate out of the skin. (i'm on fin since june '13 and was hoping that some of my miniaturizing hair would get thick.)

Do you think the doc is right?

if that's the case you are going to have a lot of ingrown hairs very soon. I wouldn't worry about it.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

if that's the case you are going to have a lot of ingrown hairs very soon. I wouldn't worry about it.

I didn't know about it and just googled "ingrown hair'. It says, these hair grow sideways into the skin and the skin appears reddish in those areas. I had these signs in the first week after I shaved. Does it mean that I have lost some hair?

I didn't know about it and just googled "ingrown hair'. It says, these hair grow sideways into the skin and the skin appears reddish in those areas. I had these signs in the first week after I shaved. Does it mean that I have lost some hair?

You probably need to exfoliate to help these hairs pierce the surface of the skin and continue growing. Not sure if you would necessarily lose hair but the inflamation probably won't help if the area develops pustules

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day