Question on transplanted hair?

Hi guys,

Just wanted to ask you guys of your styling routines.

How do you guys style your transplanted hair. Can you guys be kind enough and share your styling routines and any tips you can give me? I am 11 months post op and also ise Rogaine foam.

Please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Gimmeback

Hi GimmeBack,

This has been recently discussed and answered well here - http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/163224-get-great-hairstyle-after-your-hair-transplant-2.html

I'm booked in for mine in July so I hope to have this dilemma soon :)

FUT with Dr. Konior in 2014 - 3814 grafts - Thread

FUE with Dr. Pinto in May 2022 - 3252 grafts

Thanks Rambler,

I actually wanted to know how everyone is styling their hair after tranpslant.

The post that you referenced is definitely helpful, but does not help with ideas as to how we can style our transplanted hair. Plus, if someone has a better routine may be some of us can be benefitted of it. But that could happen only if we share...

I style as I did before my hair fell out. But looks stronger if hair all goes in one direction overlapping.

Bonkerstonker! :D

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1977

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I started losing my hair at 19 in 1999

I started using propecia and minoxidil in 2000

Had 7 hair transplants over 12200 grafts by way of strip but

700 were Fue From Norton in uk

I am told by my surgeon if I play around with my hair too much it will fall out.

He also told me to not comb or brush my hair too much, as it pulls the hair out and the follicle will eventually die, if the hair is kept getting pulled out.

Is that true? I apply Rogaine in the morning and wait for it to dry, but as it dries it makes my hair really stiff and hard. When I comb or brush my hair, they get pulled out no matter how gently I do it. Are these hair gone for good?

used to be a parted style before my second procedure by now try to wash/comb it back.

I wash it backwards in the shower so the hair is all layered back towards my crown. when it dries like that it gives the look of more volume, as opposed to washed in a downward direction

some degree of styling and brushing is inevitable along with of course hair washing, hairs lost will likely grow back.

I would avoid brushing stiff hair or pulling exceedingly hard on hair, you could get traction alopecia if done too much as your doctor mentions

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

I am told by my surgeon if I play around with my hair too much it will fall out.

He also told me to not comb or brush my hair too much, as it pulls the hair out and the follicle will eventually die, if the hair is kept getting pulled out.

Is that true? I apply Rogaine in the morning and wait for it to dry, but as it dries it makes my hair really stiff and hard. When I comb or brush my hair, they get pulled out no matter how gently I do it. Are these hair gone for good?

Is your surgeon speaking about your transplanted hair or dying native hair? If he's referring to your transplanted hair I'd seriously be questioning his knowledge as that's a stupid thing to say transplanted hair is as strong as hair without the influence of dht and traction hair loss only kicks in after loads of abuse ie long term braids or turban.

No when any hair is pulled out of follicle it does not kill the follicle but if you pull out hair from a follicle already dying follicle due to dht then it will grow back weaker next time same as if it fell out on its own.

The stiffness you refer to after minoxidil is the minoxidil crystal residue left on your hair strands I used to like this effect as it visually makes my hair look thicker I used to style my hair with stiffness and put hair wax over the top to bring colour back but keeping the thick looking effect from the minoxidil I dragged comb through the stiffness for many years and it didn't thin my hair out at all. I now have no requirement for minoxidil as I have lots of hts.

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I personally used it twice a day as I used minoxidil as a styling thickener as i mentioned before, I also used 12.5% strong minoxidil at night time I then researched minoxidil until I understood it enough to be able to make my own minoxidil solution once I knew everything there is to know about it I decided to reduce my use slowly first I dropped the 12.5% minoxidil leaving just 5% twice a day then I lowered to 5% once a day on a morning so I could style my hair using it on a morning then leave it styled until next morning.

At this point using the minoxidil only once a day my hair remained strong but I decided to formulate my own minoxidil at about 10% strength because I was only using it on a morning I wanted a extra kick for my once a day use but unfortunately I could not find a way of making a 10% strength minoxidil that would remain stable inside the bottle and also dry quickly on my scalp hence the reason minoxidil is usually sold at 5% so I decided to investigate better ways of making the minoxidil penetrate deeper into my scalp to give the effect of stronger minoxidil and found this simple answer....

Minoxidil manufacturers tell you to apply minoxidil to a dry scalp I assumed that this was because the water on your scalp would dilute the minoxidil making it weaker but it is in fact the opposite if you leave your scalp slightly damp the hydrated scalp will allow the minoxidil to absorb in better thus making the effects of minoxidil stronger the manufacturers tell you to apply to dry scalp because that's the only way they can regulate the strength to 5% as labelled so this was my answer once a day use on slightly damp scalp try keep hair strands dry but leave hydration on scalp before applying minoxidil it worked a teat.

I hope this helps it took many years and plenty of experiments to work it all out.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

That's it, only two people replied out of so many views?

Guys, any tips or photos will be alot of help. Not just for me, but so many others. How you style hair? Tips, tricks etc.

This is how forums are going nowadays most people expect to take information as a given right to information, a lot of prople do not even say thank you for information they just expect more experienced people to spend their own valuable time to answer questions i cant remember the last time someone said thanks for help in a post or inbox pm i've helped someone with. Also once they've got their problems fixed and become experienced they do not stick about to help others.

Only someone who has been through the ht experience can answer this topic question but the majority of them do not stick about to help others hence why you haven't had many answers.

Moral of the story! Community forums will only work if people's time is appreciated and we all give back.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

So I guess the assumption is that normal styling is not possible after a HT? That happens to be the case for me but I've seen many pics of guys with undetectable results (even when normally styled).

Depends how good your ht is. I can have my hair anyway I want but some don't have the density to do anything other than one specific cut style as they need over lapping.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

Bonkerstonker,

I am sorry if I came off rude, but I realy appreciate you taking the time and answering my questions.

It is certainly not my right to get all the information, but I thought by me asking questions, alot of us will be benefited. I would definitely be benefited, because I am surely very nervous manipulating my transplanted hair, expecially after my doctor told me if I keep om running my hands through my transplanted hair, I will lose my hair or get patchy baldness.

Anyways, thank you Bonkerstonker, I appreciate your help and thank everyone for their feedback!