minoxidil question

losingmyhair123

Well im about two months post op and was wondering if I should start minoxidil? If it promotes growth for newly transplanted hairs, would the new transplanted hairs shed if I were to stop? I would like to speed this waiting game up as much as possible, I just cant see myself applying it for the rest of my life. I have been on finasteride for about a year and it has helped with the shedding of my current hair. Thanks for any input.

What a good question and reply from NewHair...;)

IMHO, it is safe to apply minoxidil at this point in time post-op. The issue in applying minoxidil to the recipient area is to "jump start" the grafts and regrowth. But as NHP stated, once you start, you are committed to it in the future.

Stopping the minoxidil applications can potentially cause some temporary shedding and yes, including the new grafts. But they will grow back after resting. I know firsthand because it happened to me.

So I am not an advocate of jump starting the grafts. Time alone will take care of the regrowth. Most HT patients have waited for prolonged periods of time before even deciding on having the procedure so why not wait for the short 3-4 month regrowth period to begin?

Time alone can work wonders...:)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

thanks fellas for yalls input. I think I will wait and see the results of the transplant without minoxidil. the reason why I am scared to start it is, I read that It causes wrinkles in the face. I looked old enough before my transplant so I don't want to add to the whole ageing look. lol Have yall experienced that? And is it a pain in the butt to apply it on a daily basis?

I am not an advocate of jump starting the grafts. Time alone will take care of the regrowth. Most HT patients have waited for prolonged periods of time before even deciding on having the procedure so why not wait for the short 3-4 month regrowth period to begin?

Time alone can work wonders...:)

I've been curious about this myself. I'm 2 months out from my HT and I started Rogaine 10 days post-op per my surgeon's instructions. I stopped after 10 days because I started shedding in my crown and I didn't like the way it made my scalp feel. I've been wondering if I should start again, but not really crazy about the idea.

3,425 FUT grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Nov 2013

1,600 FUE grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Dec 2018