Advancement of hair transplant vs Medicine?

I had a transplant 22 years ago...it wasn't a bad one, it was just standard for the time. In 1994ish propecia hits the market. It's the best thing since sliced bread. Fast forward 20 years, hair transplantation has gotten great!! Better EVERY year..my results from Dr Rahal are unreal! There are unreal results posted everyday on here!

Question

What really happened to the " bald cure ". How has propecia remained the #1 medicine for hairloss?

Just a curious question. Just seems like modern medicine would have advanced further.

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

Just seems like modern medicine would have advanced further.

According to Merck's quarterly report for the period ended June 30, 2012, Propecia sales totaled $100 million.

You have your answer right there. ;)

3,425 FUT grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Nov 2013

1,600 FUE grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Dec 2018

According to Merck's quarterly report for the period ended June 30, 2012, Propecia sales totaled $100 million.

That's probably every pill manufacturers profit. I'm sure Pfizers is probably triple that. Just seems like the market on hairloss meds has gone stale. The best treatments today are the same as they were 20 years ago. If it's about money, I'm sure a cure for hairloss would be an instant billionaire for anyone who finds it.

Newhairplease!!

Dr Rahal in January 19, 2012:)

4808 FUT grafts- 941 singles, 2809 doubles, 1031 triples, 27 quads

My Hairloss Website

If it's about money, I'm sure a cure for hairloss would be an instant billionaire for anyone who finds it.

It would, but…I don't think the cure will happen in someone's garage. Like cancer, it would take billions of dollars in research money. Is the cure in the form of a drug? A pill you take one time (that's not going to happen, big Pharma won't let it) or, like Propecia, for the rest of your life? Let's say a drug better than Propecia was developed - it still has a long way to go in clinical trials and FDA approval before it makes it to the marketplace. It takes years and billions of dollars to get a drug to consumers. Not to mention the side effects. I just read an article where more and more lawsuits are being filed against Merck from users of Propecia.

So what would it take to find a 'cure?' I believe the answer is in genetic engineering - the manipulation of our genome using biotechnology.

3,425 FUT grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Nov 2013

1,600 FUE grafts with Dr Raymond Konior - Dec 2018