How serious/complicated is Hair Transplant Surgery compared to other types of surgery?

How serious/complicated is Hair Transplant Surgery compared to other types of surgery, such as heart surgery, and so on?

Can we use a scale of 1 to 10 and say that hair transplantation is rated as 2 or 3?

take care...

I'd say you're about right, if heart and brain surgery is a 10 then hair transplant would be a 2 or 3.

A 1 would probably be....taking tonsils out?

100? 'mini' grapfts by Latham's Hair Clinic - 1991 (Removed 50 plugs by Cooley 3/08.)

2750 FU 3/20/08 by Dr. Cooley

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Current regimen:

1.66 mg Proscar M-W-F

Rogaine 5% Foam - every now and then

AndroGel - once daily

Lipitor - 5 mg every other day

Weightlifting - 2x per week

Jogging - 3x per week

if heart and brain surgery is a 10

It just occurred to me that I had not put boundaries on the scale, i.e. 0 = x type of surgery and 10 = y type of surgery.

I guess sub-consciously, I naturally assumed a 10 would be heart surgery (which may not be necessarily so).

Thanks for the comments.

take care...

Dewayne, I wouldn't consider a tonsillectomy a 1. I had my tonsils taken out at the age of 32 and it requires general anesthesia. (and my recouperative period was longer). So I would assign that higher up on the scale than my HT.

Jan

Having taken out about 500 sets of tonsils when I used to do ENT work, prior to the year 2000; I feel your pain from your adult tonsillectomy. Few things are as bad as that.

The hardest operations in Facial plastic surgery are revision rhinoplasty, followed by revision lower eyelid surgery, then rhinoplasty. Hair is not technically challenging; but rather requires an "eye" for designing the hairline and placing the slits. Also key is knowing what a realistic outcome is and making sure that that is discussed with the patient in detail prior to the surgery.

For those who have had a consult with me, I list mistake number 2 as trying to accomplish too much coverage with too little hair.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

1 for me. I would place HT somewhere between a root canal and wisdom root extraction.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley