Eyebrow transplants

Hello there

I'm from Melbourne and am considering getting an Eyebrow transplant. I've got a few questions I'm hoping you can answer. :)

1. Has anyone had this surgery done in Thailand?

- if so, which Dr, are you happy with the results, do you have photos I can see?

2. How much do you think the cost would be for this surgery in Australia versus Thailand?

3. Do the brows need to be 'trimmed' or can hairs be used from a place where they won't grow too long? (the idea of trimming brows creeps me out)

4. Can I get this surgery done if I am pregnant? (I'm not pregnant, but hopeful) haha

any other advice is appreciated

ta

Francoise - Melbourne

Hi Fran,

1. In Thailand, we recommend Dr. Path. He performs eyebrow transplantation (though I couldn't find examples on his site), so it may be helpful to discuss the procedure with his clinic.

2. I'm not certain how the prices would differ. Frankly, I'm not sure if many members have compared eyebrow transplant pricing in Austrailia and Thailand. You may need to contact clinics and ask directly. Remember that "price shopping" hair transplant surgery is normally not recommended, and usually paying a competitive rate for a quality procedure is actually most cost effective in the end.

3. If the hairs are taken from the scalp, they need to be trimmed (as they will grow roughly 0.5 inches per month like normal scalp hair). Some physicians use body hair from areas like the leg for eyebrow transplant surgery. This hair will not grow as long and shed more frequently, so it won't need to be trimmed (or at least trimmed as frequently). However, there are only a very small number of physician who perform this procedure, and you must proceed cautiously. Let me know if you'd like more information on this.

4. Technically, I suppose you could. However, it would ultimately be up to the physician. If you become pregnant and decide to undergo hair transplant surgery, you should probably discuss this with the doctor.

Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Hi Fran,

Some physicians use body hair from areas like the leg for eyebrow transplant surgery. This hair will not grow as long and shed more frequently, so it won't need to be trimmed (or at least trimmed as frequently). However, there are only a very small number of physician who perform this procedure, and you must proceed cautiously. Let me know if you'd like more information on this.

Good luck!

Thanks for your response!

I'm wondering if you could give me some more info regarding your warning. That would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Fran.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Fran,

Can you share some up-to-date photos of your eyebrows? - it may well be that a transplant is not the best course of action in your situation.

Further to what Blake stated above, non-scalp hair is less than ideal as the majority of the time they are in the telogen (resting) phase, and so the cosmetic effect is minimised.

Hi Fran,

I don't know how much more I can elaborate: Eyebrow restoration is complicated and I think you should only consult with physicians who are very experienced. Particularly if you are seeking body hair transplantation to the eyebrows. I think you may want to research Dr. Umar. I believe he's the most experienced with this type of procedure. However, many of our other recommended hair transplant surgeons have good experience as well.

Please feel free to ask any additional questions.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

• 1 year later...

I had an eyebrow transplant done in Melbourne Australia by Newin Hair Institute. The price was very reasonable. One thing I didn't like. Is the Dr did one eyebrow and his assistant did the other. Not sure how common this is. But I would prefer to have had the Dr do both himself. I'm only 1 month post op. So only time will tell how good a job they did. Anyway I had 605 graphs by fut strip. And was very reasonably priced. So worth considering and saves u travelling overseas.

Eyebrow hair transplantation is a bit tricky. It is very important that the new hairs are directed and angles in the proper direction. Mis-directed hairs in this area are hard to hide. I would suggest you not have the procedure if you are pregnant. Don't think it would effect the outcome if you were to become pregnant after having the procedure and had completely healed.