Questions surrounding grafts count

Simple question concerning grafts. I've been reading that the number of grafts the average person has ranges from 4,000 (low) to 6,000 (average) and 7,000+ (high)............I think I have it right there. I'm just wondering if those 4,000-7,000 grafts are what we are limited to over a lifetime? And if not,

(a) how many grafts can re-grow

(b) how long do they take to regrow?

Also,

© Also with procedures with histogen etc. will graft count become irrelevant (even if down to only a few hundred grafts)...........or will graft count still be important and necessary for any future treatments such as histogen?

Simple question concerning grafts. I've been reading that the number of grafts the average person has ranges from 4,000 (low) to 6,000 (average) and 7,000+ (high)............I think I have it right there. I'm just wondering if those 4,000-7,000 grafts are what we are limited to over a lifetime? And if not,

Yes. That would be your lifetime limit. You're born with all the hair follicles you'll ever have. You don't grow new follicles.

(a) how many grafts can re-grow

With a skilled surgeon close to 100% should grow. I think most clinics operate with a 95% growth rate.

(b) how long do they take to regrow?

Normal timeline is that they start to grow back within 3-4 months. However, it starts out a thin and wispy hair (vellus). It then grows thicker and thicker. Full result takes about a year.

© Also with procedures with histogen etc. will graft count become irrelevant (even if down to only a few hundred grafts)...........or will graft count still be important and necessary for any future treatments such as histogen?

Not sure I understand the question. Histogen claims 60% regrowth from their initial studies if I remember correctly. Histogen is far from being a finished product. They're not even if phase 2 yet as I think they lost some financial backers.

The treatment on the horizon that would eliminate the lifetime graft limit is replicel (might be others). Which essentially is hair cloning. When (or rather IF) it ever succeeds they can just grow as many grafts as you want.

The treatment on the horizon that would eliminate the lifetime graft limit is replicel (might be others). Which essentially is hair cloning. When (or rather IF) it ever succeeds they can just grow as many grafts as you want.

just throwing this question out there but in your opinion when and if this treatment ever becomes available will it be the answer to hair loss for many or only an option for those who are financially wealthy with deep pockets

just throwing this question out there but in your opinion when and if this treatment ever becomes available will it be the answer to hair loss for many or only an option for those who are financially wealthy with deep pockets

Your guess is as good as mine. I'm not qualified to answer that question....but it can't be too expensive since people will then revert to the current methods.

Even if they can clone hairs you will still need to undergo surgery to implant those grafts so I don't see the price being less than a strip or FUE procedure. In fact it will probably be more expensive as it is a new technology that will be in high demand. Remember, this is an elective, cosmetic procedure and clinics can charge whatever they choose.

Edited by hairthere

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Your guess is as good as mine. I'm not qualified to answer that question....but it can't be too expensive since people will then revert to the current methods.

Of course, I guess it was directed more towards a small topic of conversation (which I'm sure there are other threads about) opposed to expecting a definitive answer.

have faith i believe we are not to far off from hair cloning with that most recent breakthrough and its actually sounding cheaper than HT's

My fingers are crossed that it will be noticed as a "breakthrough" to "help" those suffering from mpb without breaking the bank.

Even if they can clone hairs you will still need to undergo surgery to implant those grafts so I don't see the price being less than a strip or FUE procedure. In fact it will probably be more expensive as it is a new technology that will be in high demand. Rememer, this is an elective, cosmetic procedure and clinic can charge whatever they choose.

This was along the lines of what I was thinking, but in regards to those who have exhausted strip options etc and are cornered with only cloning left as an option with nothing else to fall back on. When you are in that position, you're either paying to play or living with where you're at.

diamondlight, Yes, I highly doubt this will be an inexpensive procedure. Companies are paying lots of money just into the R&D. And like I said, you will still have to undergo surgery to have this done. It's not like taking a pill, and poof, your hair regrows.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Any future ground breaking procedure will probably be ridiculously expensive. Just brand name propecia is not cheap at all. I think at first, if it is cloning, that it will be so high the average person may have to wait a few years AFTER THE PROCEDURE BECOMES AVAILABLE, until there are enough doctors that are trained so that the price comes down. My honest opinion is that you will be looking at about $50k for a cloning procedure in the the first few years. I think we are at least a decade out. My guess is that the next big thing will be in pill or injectable form and will be something to take in addition or in place of finasteride. Unfortunately, I sometimes doubt I will even be around to see an actual cure. Especially one that is available and attainable by the masses. Sorry to be a Debbie Downer.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.