How do I know who will "operate" on me?

Hello,

I had a relatively bad experience with my HT 3 years ago. The doc suggested I have high dose valium I refused so I was aware of everything and realized that he is rarely ever there.

The assistants did all the work. He came in from time to time but that's about it. One of the assistant (who he told me is an expert) made mistakes! he came in and said something like: "no! we are not doing the 2hair follicles yet, these punches are for the 3-4" or something like that.

Bottom line, I am now preparing for my next surgery, what is reasonable to expect from HT suregons. I plan to ask them how involved they will be in the actual surgery, but want to know first what is the gold standard.

I would appreciate your thoughts.

A surgeon should perform the complete extraction and creation of the recipient sites, at a minimum. It is common practice for technicians to do the implantation. My surgeon did some of the implantation as well.

I would definitely feel uneasy if I heard the surgeon correcting his techs during the procedure. I probably would have demanded an explanation.

I don't really know if their is a "gold standard" for this. I had surgery with Dr. Konior who is involved in every graft planted, but this is not the norm. There are some great clinics that do not operate like his though. My advice is to ask these questions during consultation and tell the clinic that you only want their most experienced techs implanting your grafts. Ask if there have been any staff changes, etc.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Yes. You could ask exactly who will be working on you and check out how long they have been with your doctor. Hopefully the Doc can give you that info in advance. Or you could go to a top doctor like Konoir who as Spanker said, does most of the work himself (and gets amazing results).

Also I think Dr. Lorenzo does most (if not all) of the work too, if you are looking for great FUE.

This is an area that I have been interested in figuring out because it does seem that not all techs are created equal.

The techs are equally as important as the surgeon so you want to make sure he has at least 3 working at once (Dr. Feller had 7 working on me in rotating shifts). These techs should also have plenty of experience.

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com