FUE recommendations in Southern California

squiggle

Hi – I have joined this forum with the intent of getting recommendations for having FUE done in Southern California. I have hears elsewhere that it’s best to go with someone who is on the IAHRS (or I can’t remember if it was ISHRS) register. I have seen some CA doctors there, but if anyone has firsthand experience or there are links to detailed reviews please let me know. I’m 34, and looking for frontal area. I’m probably stage 3 (maybe 4) and have been told I need about 1500 grafts. I live in London, but the treatments here are very expensive.

Thanks

I know this doesn't specifically answer your question, and well frankly I can't, but I thought I'd at least emphasize that the recovery from a HT is very long and drawn out process, and the results are meant to be permanent. The inconvenience of taking lots and lots of time to research, possibly spend more money, and possibly traveling somewhere other than Southern Cal will pale in comparison in the long run. Not saying your best option isn't in Cali, only that you seriously consider as many options as possible.

Do not rush into it. If it takes another year of saving to go to a world class doc, do it. In my opinion, if someone places high importance on how soon they can get scheduled and get it done as a deciding factor... they're not ready.

With that said, why is Southern Cal on your radar?

squiggle,

Welcome! the International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery (ISHRS) is a non-profit medical association with over 1,000 members worldwide. This is not to be confused with the IAHRS (International Alliance of Hair Restoration Surgery) which is an organization that prescreens and recommends hair transplant surgeons based on their own set of standards.

While I am not familiar with the IAHRS standards, our own community pre-screens and recommends hair transplant surgeons around the globe. You can view our rigorous recommendation standards here.

The best way to find a recommended physician in your area is to check out our interactive map.

By viewing each physician's profile, you can find out which are offering FUE. You'll find lots of examples on the forum using the search feature that have been posted not only by the physicians themselves but also by patients.

You may also want to view the patient created hair restoration websites here.

Good luck!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Thanks you for the replies. David thanks for the links, I’ll look into them.

Rootz, I’m not fixated on having it done in CA. With Hollywood being famous for everything related to plastic surgery I thought it plausible that there be good doctors there for FUE also. My opinion wasn’t based on research. That, and the fact that I’m going there for a break in October so I thought I could kill two birds with one stone and get some consultations while I’m there. I’ve been mulling over the idea of HT for more than a year now so definitely not going to take the plunge at first sight. So far I have had two in-person consultations in London, and from them have two very different opinions about the doctors.

For now, from what I have seen and read, my pick would be Dr De Reys in Belgium. Perhaps naively, at the moment, a concern I have with FUE is the idea of shaving of my head, and then going to office after the surgery afterwards. That’s unsettling. I can take two weeks holiday but still, there’s no hiding. One of the doctors said that I don’t need to shave all over and just need to shave the donor area. But I know that for the best result you need to cut to number 1 all over.

I had been on finasteride (1mg) for many years (8-10 years with a 6-month break somewhere) and stopped it about a month ago. Stopped it because I think I’m prone to anxiety/depression and it’s been noted as one of its side effects (it never gave me ED). If finasteride had a hand in strengthening my hair, and if its effects will disappear without taking it, then I was thinking maybe it’s better to wait for the fin-fuelled hair to shed before doing FUE. This is all because I don’t want to be taking finasteride again.

Squiggle, if you are open to traveling to traveling, I suggest you look into the work of Dr Erdogan man. North America is lacking in quality FUE.