How much Propecia should you take & what shampoo to use?

BaldEagle1892

Hi everyone,

This is my first blog and I'm only a few days old to the site. I know my profile is poor but I will set it up when I get a spare 5 mins from researching the site. Here is some of my little queries I need help with!

I have decided to to buy the following products and they should arrive in the next few days (The big 3).

1. Rogaine 5% solution (1ml twice a day)
  2. Nizoral 2% (once every 3 days)
  3. Propecia 1mg tablets

I managed to gain the propecia off the net without a doctors slip. The problem is I don't know how many I should take and does the intake change over time? and will a normal GP know anything about how much I should take in relation to hair loss?

Is there any advantages/disadvantages between between Rogaines solution and foam products?

Also what shampoo, conditioner and hair serum is good to use on the days off from Nizoral 2%? I work mostly on construction sites so my scalp gets dirty and needs a good clean every night. I've looked into Nioxin system 2 but I'm not sure after seeing some of the reviews on other sites. I also was advised by their help desk not to use the serum whilst using Regaine.

Any help would be much appreciated guys!!

Edited by Future_HT_Doc

I reckon 1mg tablet a day to start of with is fine, if you start to experience side effects then maybe reduce it to half a pill a day OR take a pill every other day. Then, after some time increase the dose as your body adjusts.

As for regular shampoo, I reckon a decent brand should be sufficient, but I personally use a shampoo with certain "hair growth" ingredients including ginseng and biotin.

I am no expert by any means.

I just started the big 3 myself 7 months ago.

Good luck to you buddy. Have you already taken some 'before' pics?

Regimen:

Finasteride (1.25mg): Daily.

Minoxidil (5%): Twice Daily.

Super Biotin (5000mcg) Vitamin Supplement; Daily

Silica Complex; Daily

Eagle,

A GP should have a good knowledge when it comes to prescribing propecia. While they don't deal exclusively in hair loss (like the physicians on our site), finasteride is still a prescription medication, and they should possess a working knowledge of the appropriate amount to take, potential side effects, when and how to change dosages, etc. Although you didn't get a prescription for the medication, you could still see your GP and ask for some guidance about taking it correctly.

Good luck!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Thanks guys.

I was always going to visit a doctor to put my mind at ease as I've been a little worried about Propecia in the past. I'm now willing to chance the possible side effects of Propecia (with or without a doctors approval) to get my hair healthier. I've booked an appointment on Monday to see my local GP and I've also been in contact via email with local naturopathic nutritionist about saliva testing to see if there are any unwanted changes in my hormones whilst taking Propecia. They seem very expensive tho and I hope my GP will be willing to test me at a lower cost than the naturopathic nutritionist.

I will be sure to upload pics before taking Propecia and pics of my progress in the future.