how many years transplanted hair remains stable

I am going to undergone FUT this month 19th,

My doubt is how long the transplanted hair will remains stable?

some of my friends are telling....transplanted hair remains only 2 or 3 years

after that the hair loss will starts...:(

Only 2-3 years??? I hope that isn't the case ^^. There are several cases on this website where patients came back after 10 years and still look great. There are also members on this site who have had surgeries longer than 5 years ago that look great.

Theoretically, the hair should last almost forever.

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

Hair transplant 5-22-2013 with Dr. Paul Shapiro at Shapiro Medical Group

Total grafts transplanted: 3222

*536 singles *1651 doubles * 961 triples,

*74 quadruples.

Total hairs transplanted: 7017

Non-Surgical Treatments:

*1.25 mg finasteride daily

*Generic minoxidil foam 2x daily

Hi,

The transplanted hair, should in most cases remain for life as its taken from the safe zone. However people can thin and lose hair from that area as we age, so there is some truth in what there saying.

In most cases what people see us the surrounding native hair continuing to thin around the transplanted hairs and may see this as the ht hair falling out.

I have seen lots of great cases on here where people still look good 15 yrs down the road.

Good luck with yr upcoming ht fella

Hair Transplant Dr Feller Oct 2011

Hair Transplant Dr Lorenzo June 2014

Most HT patients retain the transplants for years which includes myself. My first HT was in 1996 and had three more since then with the last one in 2006.

I am also a terminal stage lung cancer survivor (2009) and so I lost 100% of my hair including my BH from the intense effects of chemotherapy.

After chemo and entering full remission my hair started to regrow. It did not come back as dense and I do not look as restored as I did before cancer.

Yes, I have seen a few cases of men losing some of their transplanted hair and a very high percent of them also either experienced some level of donor zone thinning or have it their family histories.

I have also seen and conversed with several men who had multiple procedures and the last one did not grow and a few also experienced losing their past grafts. Could it be a compromised recipient area (blood supply)? Hard to tell but one thing in common is that they all had more grafts added within the same recipient area as their past procedures.

This is why I am such an advocate of having one's entire scalp microscopically examined before making any decisions on having a HT procedure.

For example, if you had this microscopic evaluation and the doctor found miniaturization in the donor zone, this informs the patient that they have DHT receptive hair within their donor zone, meaning that hair can be lost sometime in the future if it's transplanted. Even young guys who do not show any miniaturization in their 20s can have it show up later in life. This is why we all have to look closely at family history on both sides. If the men and even the women show thinning in their donor zones, then chances are, it will show up in us as well.

But these are exceptional cases and not the rule otherwise we would no doubt be reading more complaints and anxiety over patients losing their transplants.

My point is to have the microscopic evaluations before making the decision to move forward, and especially the patients over say 30 - 40 years of age. Donor zone thinning usually does not show up until later in life "if" it happens at all.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Your friends are idiots.

Yes. This. Your uninformed friends sound like the idiots that kept telling me that my HT would never "take," and that I'd just go bald again, and that the new hair would look like "doll hair," that it would never grow longer, etc. All kinds of idiotic sh!t. Ignore these retards and look at my blog below - and any number of the other ones on this site.

Granted, if a doc takes some hair from a place where it would have fallen out later anyway (genetically weak follicles), those hairs may fall out, but any quality surgeon on these boards - essentially all of them - are more than skilled enough not to make this novice mistake. I've heard of this, but never actually seen a case of this myself in the four years I've been on these forums and researching HT's in general on the internet.

• Moderators
Your uninformed friends sound like the idiots that kept telling me that my HT would never "take," and that I'd just go bald again, and that the new hair would look like "doll hair," that it would never grow longer, etc.

Hmm... well my HT didn't "take", I went bald anyway, the little bit of hair that did grow has the doll hair look, etc. So you're saying I'm an idiot for pointing out what happened to me? Perhaps that's why there aren't many people who post negative results here.

I've heard of this, but never actually seen a case of this myself in the four years I've been on these forums and researching HT's in general on the internet.

View my pictures on my profile. Now you've seen it instead of only hearing about it.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

BeHappy,

I just looked at your profile pics. Sorry to hear about your bad experiences with HT's. Seems like you really got taken advantage of by some bad doctors. Hope you can somehow straighten it all out. Might be worth a chat with Dr. Umar in California. I hear he is very good at repairs.

Do you think your back thinned out with age or was it all because of the scars?

Im just wondering about the long term. Thanks.

BeHappy - sorry, I should have specified that I was referring to modern techniques performed by well-known surgeons; I know a lot of bad, pluggy work was done in the 80's and 90's, which is where a lot of the negative public stereotypes come from even today. I just get frustrated when uneducated nay-sayers feel like they can insert their moronic opinions on modern techniques without having done any research themselves. I hope you get repaired, though. New techniques have a lot to offer.

• Moderators
BeHappy,

Do you think your back thinned out with age or was it all because of the scars?

Im just wondering about the long term. Thanks.

It was some of both the scars and the hair thinning naturally. Much of the transplanted hair on top has since fallen out because that's what it would have done if it hadn't ben moved. At least 2 of my older uncles had almost no hair on the sides and some thinning in the back since as long as I can remember, so when I was around 20 and realized I had the same sort of pattern, I was pretty sure my sides and back were going to be gone eventually. That's part of why I had a HT! So I wouldn't be bald like them!

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Moderators
I know a lot of bad, pluggy work was done in the 80's and 90's, which is where a lot of the negative public stereotypes come from even today. I just get frustrated when uneducated nay-sayers feel like they can insert their moronic opinions on modern techniques without having done any research themselves. I hope you get repaired, though. New techniques have a lot to offer.

Yes that's true, but You have to realize that no matter how long ago mine was done, I still have the bad look. If someone sees me today, they see a bad hair transplant. They don't know it's from 25 years ago, they only see it as today. If you didn't know about HTs, but knew me and then knew a friend who said he was going to try it, what would you tell him? It's not moronic to say "Hey I've seen a really bad one with doll hair and thin all over with scars showing, so maybe you shouldn't do that."

I agree that techniques these days are much better, but you're being too hard on people trying to give advice to a friend based on what they may have actually witnessed. You could have just said that those kind of results are not the norm these days and your friends are thinking of older HTs without calling them idiots.

Believe me, I wish someone was telling me about the possible down sides before I went.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)