Hair Transplant: How long does the strip removal take?

Hi,

I'm due to have a Hair Transplant in a few weeks. Having around 4.5k (or more if there's enough in the donor area and there's time to do it)

I'm looking forward to it, but the piece I'm mostly dreading is the strip removal. I know I won't feel anything but I also know that I'll be happier once the strip has been removed and the gap been sutured.

I understand that I'll be in the chair for most of the day, but I was wondering how long the actual strip removal takes? Is that done in an hour or does it take longer?

I'm not revealing the surgeon yet (in case of mishaps etc), but he's recommended on this site.

The strip removal takes around an hour on average but for larger sessions and tougher scalp it can take around 1.5 hours.

Good luck with your procedure, as you mention you won't feel anything after the injections and these are all done with quickly. A good clinic will always make time to get the number of grafts they recommend or that you require, I would hate to see you rushed out the door as you are out of time.

---

Former patient and representative for Hasson & Wong.

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are esteemed members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Hasson & Wong.

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Hasson

If I remember correctly, mind took place in two parts. I have no idea how long it took, as I fell asleep. It couldn't have taken more than a half an hour though......

It's really nothing.. Really.. The whole process was simple

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

Hair transplant 5-22-2013 with Dr. Paul Shapiro at Shapiro Medical Group

Total grafts transplanted: 3222

*536 singles *1651 doubles * 961 triples,

*74 quadruples.

Total hairs transplanted: 7017

Non-Surgical Treatments:

*1.25 mg finasteride daily

*Generic minoxidil foam 2x daily

Thanks for your responses.

There's lots of information about pre- and post procedure but not a lot about the actual sitting in the chair. Perhaps because it goes by quicker than people think.

I'm scheduled for a 4.5k session (that was the estimate given during my initial face2face consultation) but I'd like as many grafts as possible so if my donor area has more or my scalp has better laxity then it might be more (or it could be less as well of course). I was told I'm in for 10+ hours in the chair!!

My surgeon comes highly recommended and I've seen lots of good feedback and pictures from patients on this forum so I'm not worried that I'll be rushed.

I'll try to memorize my day and write about it here. Unless I fall asleep that is...It seems that many patients do :)

PS! I'm still nervous as ****! But it will be worth it in the end.

Baldie,

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your decision to have a hair transplant by a Hair Restoration Network recommended surgeon!! I think everyone here has answered your questions satisfactorily, so please keep us posted how everything goes. A 4500 graft session should make a phenomenal transformation to whatever your hair looks like currently, and I look forward to following your journey. I imagine you will be documenting your experiences with a write-up and photos, so I will keep my eyes peeled for that.

Best of luck on your big day!

Mike

4737 FUT with Dr. Rahal on 11/16/2012

Daily regimen: 1/4 Proscar (1.25 mg Finasteride), Rogaine Foam (twice daily), 1000 mcg Biotin, 1 combo Vitamin D/Calcium/Magnesium, 1500 mg Glocosamine, 750 mg MSM, 1200 mg Fish Oil, 2000 mg Vitamin C, Super B-Complex, 400 I.U Vitamin E.

I am not a medical professional. All views and opinions expressed in this forum are of my own.