FUE vs FUT

"There was a firefight!!"

A question that can be answered in a hundred different ways.

They are both "better" depending on your loss and donor supply/laxity/expectations. Take a good look at all the different FUT cases on this site and then all the different FUE cases. You'll see the upsides and downsides of each, then you can choose what you like best for your particular hair loss. It takes a bit of time but I'm sure it'll be time well spent if you are considering a HT at any level.

I personally believe that with a great FUE surgeon, the yield is comparable to that of a good strip surgeon and is a superior method in general(not in 100% of cases though). I also believe FUE has fewer drawbacks compared to strip and have listed the advantages and disadvantages of both in my pros/cons thread in my signature.

For 10 years this question has been thrashed at. It should be banned to even ask it has become so dreary. Use the search function. There are thousands of these threads, no need for another one.

Edited by Slickers

Define better?

If by better you mean gives the best result? Neither are better. With a good surgeon, you can receive incredible results from either.

If by better you mean budget savvy? Strip. Strip is generally much less expensive than that of FUE because it takes less time for a given amount of grafts. However, there are countries that allow you to get fairly affordable FUE surgeries, such as Turkey.

If by better you mean less drawbacks? I would say FUE. Fue does not leave you with a scar in the back of your head that, even with the best doctor in the world, does not let you receive short buzz cuts and runs the risk of stretching.

If better you mean more complicated? FUE by far. The surgeons skill must be extremely refined in order to pull a successful FUE surgery with low transection. There are many different extraction methods and implanting methods that you check on in Mickey85's signature..

Your question is sort of vague, and I firmly believe that a quick searce of the forum will yield a plethora of wonderful answers.

My Hair Loss Website

Surgical Treatments:

Hair transplant 5-22-2013 with Dr. Paul Shapiro at Shapiro Medical Group

Total grafts transplanted: 3222

*536 singles *1651 doubles * 961 triples,

*74 quadruples.

Total hairs transplanted: 7017

Non-Surgical Treatments:

*1.25 mg finasteride daily

*Generic minoxidil foam 2x daily

While I won't get involved in the actual debate, I did want to clarify something:

The argument is not "FUT vs. FUE;" it is "FUSS vs. FUE."

FUT technically stands for "Follicular Unit Hair Transplantation," which describes the most modern method of hair restoration surgery. FUT can be performed via two different mechanisms: Follicular Unit Strip Surgery (FUSS) - where a strip of hair-bearing scalp is removed and dissected into follicular unit grafts, and Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) - where follicular units are removed directly from the back of the scalp.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.