Dr Hakan Doganay VS Dr Erkan Demirsoy (or recommend another surgeon please)

I've been doing a lot of research on this forum and have now narrowed down my option for a HT to these 2 doctors.

Both are based in Turkey and both have very good, even if there are just a few reviews.

There seems to be a huge price difference between the 2. Doganay charges 2 Euros per graft whilst Demisroy charges 1 Euro. This price involves the use of an auotomatic FUE extractor and my understanding is that both surgeons offer this tool at the price. Obviously this has drawn me to go with Demisroy as I'm not a well off person; in fact I work in a call centre and have been saving for years.

I've sent some photos into Doganay today and got an immediate response. He estimates I'll need around 4,500 grafts. I'm still to hear from Demisroy.

I understand that the 4,500 grafts will be taken over a period of 2 days. Do you think it's advisable to perform such a "megasession" over the space of 2 days?

Having researched into this forum and others in the past, I truly believe from reading reviews etc that Dr Feller of the States is the best HT surgeon in the world. However, the only price list I can find for him is on his website which states $10 per graft, which equates to 7.5 Euros - 7.5 times the price of Demisroy! Is this correct?

I'm based in the UK but can't pay the prices of UK based surgeons as they're beyond my budget.

If there are any surgeons reading this post then please feel free to PM me with your prices for a procedure. I am looking to get a TP done well before the end of this year.

Or if anybody else can recommend a surgeon with low prices and excellent results (I know my questions are seeking the holy grail for which everyone else seeks!).

Despite the fact that out of the two only Dr. Doagny is recommended here, both doctors (Dogany or Demirsoy) are great. You will not go wrong with any. How did you you contact Dr. Demirsoy, if you do not mind me asking?

Both surgeons seem great!! Dr feller has great fut results and only does small fue sessions and certainly isn't the best in the world at fue!! No disrespect to him as his fut is as good as anyone's but I'm sure he'd agree if you want fue he's about middle of the pack and much prefers strip!! Belgium has great drs but ate about 5 times the price of the 2 you have mentioned!!! Keep researching and base your decision on quality and results/ patients satisfaction/ and that you get that "gut feeling" there the one for you!! And of course if you get all that for less money than Qdos!!!!

Thanks for the quick reply guys. I'm obviously mistaken about Dr Feller then!

kokosam - I contacted Demirsoy via this link:

Hello Magpie,

We received your photos. As soon as Dr. Demirsoy has analysed them, I will send you his estimation and further details - within the next 24 h.

Regards,

Clemens

Health Travels - Hair Transplants Turkey

Representative for Dr. Erkan Demirsoy

With No Doubts, Hakan wins, He is recommended in the hardest communities in screening like HTN and IAHRS which for the rest time they recommended a surgeon from Asian content along with an Indian.

I may bring Erdogan and Keser names to compare with Hakan but not Dr. Erkan Demirsoy, he is from another league in my opinion.

Plug removal + Strip scar revision - Dr. Ali Karadeniz (AEK)- May 23, 2015

Plug removal + 250 FUE temple points- Dr. Hakan Doganay (AHD)- July 3, 2013

Scar Tricopigmentation- Dr. Koray Erdogan (ASMED)- May 3, 2013

2500 FUT (Hairline Repair)- Dr. Rahal- July 26, 2011

My Hair Treatments:

1- Alpecin Double Effect Shampoo (Daily)

2- Regaine Solution Minoxidil 5% (2 ml once a day)

3- GNC Ultra NourishHair™ (Once a day)

4- GNC Herbal Plus Standardized Saw Palmetto (Once a day)

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]

With No Doubts, Hakan wins, He is recommended in the hardest communities in screening like HTN and IAHRS which for the rest time they recommended a surgeon from Asian content along with an Indian.

I may bring Erdogan and Keser names to compare with Hakan but not Dr. Erkan Demirsoy, he is from another league in my opinion.

Thanks for your post.

Can you explain how and why Dr Demirsoy is in a different league to Dr Doganay? Dr Demirsoy charges half the price of Dr Doganay and, from reading various posts on various forums, Dr Demirsoy comes very highly recommended.

Can you provide a link, information or evidence to show that Dr Demirsoy's work is in an inferior league to that of Doganay?

As far as I'm aware, Dr Demirsoy has noy yet applied for IAHRS but has been encouraged to do so by many

Thanks

magpie . being a demirsoy patient myself I can certainly recommend him based on my experience .

I am yet to show results as only after 3 weeks post op .

I seen demirsoys results on diff forums and they were outstanding .

if im correct hakan was charging 1 euro at one stage so do not let this put you off in terms of thinking because cheaper you will receive less of a result

I suspect the reason hakans rate went up was because he joined forum like this were there is a sponsorship fee to pay . 1 euro a graft wouldn't be able to sustain paying fees to forum like this.

this is the reson dr demirsoy clinic have not applied and I suspect if they did there rate would also go up.

keep researching but with the choice you have narrowed down too you will do well whatever.

you seem a high norwood check out fahos result on here

You mean he is in the € 1 club? That still wont convince me to surrender my head. How many results of Demirsoy were posted in the internet? Very very few, he has almost 5 videos in his ArmamedHair You Tube page, few photos in Hair Site?

Dr. Hakan in order to be recommended in HTN, he had to submit loads of photos with explanations. Even Dr. Keser couldn't manage to enter because of the outer universal zone extractions. But its in your head Buddy, if you want Demirsoy then you will find million of excuses to go with him. In my opinion € 2 is already cheap so why to search for a cheaper rate without any customer protection? I went to Hakan because he is recommended so if there is anything wrong happened to me, I could be protected by the community unlike with Demirsoy you are on your own. That is my own opinion. Good luck Bro.

My Hair Treatments:

My Rahal HT thread http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/164456-2500-fut-dr-rahal-hairline-repair.html[/size]

Thanks dingdong12, some very useful information there. Congratulations on your TP and I hope you heal and grow well.

HARIRI - thanks for your information too. The problem I have is, as mentioned earlier, I don't have much money as I don't have a well paid job. I work in a call centre so get paid peanuts.

I've had to save up for a very long time for this. 2 Euros may sound a low price to you but it's not to me. I need at least 4,500 grafts. So that means it will cost me 9000 Euros if I go with Dr Doganay. Otherwise it will cost me 4,500 Euros if I go with Dr Demirsoy. 4,500 Euros is equal to 4000 pounds which is a LOT of money for anybody, not just for me.

As dindong12 mentioned earlier, Dr Doganay USED to charge 1 Euro but has had to up his price as he has joined this and other forums and, because of this, we are the ones who are suffering as we have to now pay twice as much because HE decided to join these forums.

I will take my chances and probably go with Dr Demirsoy. What's to say he won't join this and other forums in the near future which will result in people like myself having to pay twice as much? I would rather pay half the price now just in case he decides to join these forums

I understand your situation Buddy, wish you all the best with Dr. Demirsoy. You never know maybe I'm wrong with my judgement! There are many hidden gems in Turkey but the famous exclusive FUE surgeons I know so far are Erdogan Doganay and Keser. After all, Long live Turkey for providing us decent HT with reasonable prices.

By the way, does Dr. Demirsoy still charges Euro 1 for Motorized FUE and Euro 2 for Manual FUE? Also does he do all the punching himself or at least all the incisions? Let me know.

My Hair Treatments:

I understand your situation Buddy, wish you all the best with Dr. Demirsoy. You never know maybe I'm wrong with my judgement! There are many hidden gems in Turkey but the famous exclusive FUE surgeons I know so far are Erdogan Doganay and Keser. After all, Long live Turkey for providing us decent HT with reasonable prices.

By the way, does Dr. Demirsoy still charges Euro 1 for Motorized FUE and Euro 2 for Manual FUE? Also does he do all the punching himself or at least all the incisions? Let me know.

Punches and incisions yes. He also removed a certain amount of grafts from back donor and takes short pauses in between punches to check for angles/transection like any good HT doctor would. Technicians mainly do anesthesia, wash, dissection/preparation of grafts, graft removal and reinsertion (no punching and definitely no incision making as i believe this is illegal in Turkey?)

Also for magpie, make sure that you actually have the 4500 grafts in your back donor. Because if you don't then your best bet is Hakkan for beard hair as Demirsoy does not do any kind of BHT. I am a patient of Demirsoy btw.

Punches and incisions yes. He also removed a certain amount of grafts from back donor and takes short pauses in between punches to check for angles/transection like any good HT doctor would. Technicians mainly do anesthesia, wash, dissection/preparation of grafts, graft removal and reinsertion (no punching and definitely no incision making as i believe this is illegal in Turkey?)

If he does all the incisions and punching alone then he got my full respect. I'm not sure about the Turkish HT legal issues but I'm fully aware that Hakan and Erdogan do not do the full punching themselves, the technicians do the bigger part of them whether manual or motorized, however they both do the full incisions.

What does Dr. Demirsoy use for incisions and implantation? Any idea about the tools he uses? Choi implanter or needles or blades???

My Hair Treatments:

Magpie,

Dr. Doganay is doing world renowned FUE work in Turkey and has been approved for recommendation on the Hair Transplant Network. I strongly consider consulting with him.

I've heard good things about Dr. Demirsoy and have invited him to present examples of his work on this community to be considered for recommendation. However, to date, they have not taken us up on this invitation. Hopefully we'll be able to learn more over time when Dr. Demirsoy decides to get serious about showing examples of his work to this popular community.

Best wishes,

Bill

Magpie,

Dr. Doganay is doing world renowned FUE work in Turkey and has been approved for recommendation on the Hair Transplant Network. I strongly consider consulting with him.

I've heard good things about Dr. Demirsoy and have invited him to present examples of his work on this community to be considered for recommendation. However, to date, they have not taken us up on this invitation. Hopefully we'll be able to learn more over time when Dr. Demirsoy decides to get serious about showing examples of his work to this popular community.

Best wishes,

Bill

Mr Bill, thanks for the great response. By the way, how about Dr. Koray Erdogan? Any updates about his screening? Just curious to know, Sir.

My Hair Treatments:

If he does all the incisions and punching alone then he got my full respect. I'm not sure about the Turkish HT legal issues but I'm fully aware that Hakan and Erdogan do not do the full punching themselves, the technicians do the bigger part of them whether manual or motorized, however they both do the full incisions.

What does Dr. Demirsoy use for incisions and implantation? Any idea about the tools he uses? Choi implanter or needles or blades???

Yeah he does all incisions and punches himself (atleast for me he did). Dingdong was ur procedure the same? For incision i believe he uses a blade I really dont know what its called but it definitely wasnt choi implanter pen. I know that Hakkan uses the choi implanter and could be beneficial to the patient if he/she does not want to shave the recipient area. Not sure about any other benefits though.

Also, Demirsoy swaps between 0.7-0.8mm punches based on person's hair/scalp i believe. I know this because he used 0.7mm on me but 0.8mm on another patient with curly/middle eastern hair whome i met in hotel. He only performs 1 surgery a day but u might meet another patient in clinic getting hair washed or for followup.

Yeah he does all incisions and punches himself (atleast for me he did). Dingdong was ur procedure the same? For incision i believe he uses a blade I really dont know what its called but it definitely wasnt choi implanter pen. I know that Hakkan uses the choi implanter and could be beneficial to the patient if he/she does not want to shave the recipient area. Not sure about any other benefits though.

Also, Demirsoy swaps between 0.7-0.8mm punches based on person's hair/scalp i believe. I know this because he used 0.7mm on me but 0.8mm on another patient with curly/middle eastern hair whome i met in hotel. He only performs 1 surgery a day but u might meet another patient in clinic getting hair washed or for followup.

Good to hear that, blades are great especially for lateral slits. Did you had a motorized or manual FUE and why? I heard he does both. :)

My Hair Treatments:

Motorized, but he does both and claims that he would not offer motorized if he could not achieve similar results with it. I would have went manual as my back donor was limited (3000'ish) but i was convinced that his survival rate was just as good with motorized. Will find out in a few months i guess.

And just to clarify, i am not recommending Demirsoy to the OP. It is your choice wether u want to take a gamble with Demirsoy for a cheaper price or go for a more guaranteed and transparent doctor like Hakkan. It is fairly obvious that Hakkan has proven himself to this community through all his amazing results and there is really no need to turn this into a Turkish HT doctor war thread :P

Edited by B-KW

Also for magpie, make sure that you actually have the 4500 grafts in your back donor. Because if you don't then your best bet is Hakkan for beard hair as Demirsoy does not do any kind of BHT. I am a patient of Demirsoy btw.

First of all I would like to thank everyone for their comments and and suggestions.

I've been in contact with both parties and both have provided replies in terms of the number of grafts required:

Dr Doganay's Estimate - around 4,500 grafts to be transplanted in 2 days. They also have some concerns about the donor area and so they "might need" 1000 beard grafts. This is something I would really like to avoid as I'm not keen on the idea of having to tranplant any body hairs.

Their reply to my concern was that "we will most likely need beard grafts because it seems we can harvest 3,500 donor grafts while you need 4,500 grafts in total".

Dr Demirsoy's Estimate - around 6,000 - 6,500 grafts in order to receive full coverage. They mention the maximum number of grafts that can be transplanted in one session (if my donor area is sufficient) is 4,000 - 4,500.

The second option provided is 3,000 - 3,500 grafts in a first session and 15,00 - 2,500 more (if my donor area is sufficient) in a second session.

Is it advisable to perform such a large number of graft transplants in a single session. I've been reading about other people's experiences where, for example, they required 4,000 grafts in total. For example, Dr Basinga has perfomed a TP on a patient where they transplanted 2,000 grafts in one session and then the patient returned a year or so later for the second session for another 2,000 grafts.

I really have no idea how many grafts are available from my donor area. Is anybody able to give an estimate from the photo below? Also, can anybody recommend which of the above options would be best for my head?

Many thanks

IMG_1768.jpg.ce332f9cef0d4179d32b8a9709f69323.jpg

Not an expert but with the way you're tilting your head its hard to tell whether the diffused area is part of your crown (above safe zone) or below. Rest of donor looks fairly dense but only the doctor can give you a better estimate up close in person. How are your sides though? The doctor might want to use sides after exhausting back donor. Side grafts are not as safe as back but if they arent diffused you will have a much better chance with those grafts surviving long term.

For those 2 options i would definitely not consider 3500 first session. After looking at your avatar picture, it will come nowhere near filling hairline/top/crown all at once (not talking about density here just simple spreading of grafts). with 3500 you would most likely have to leave the crown empty in first session. So if your looking to have work done on crown in 1st session, 4500 would be the way to go IMO. I have a similar hair loss pattern. Check my thread, 3k'ish grafts will barely reach your crown. Your temples need slightly more filling than mines depending on what kind of hairline you opt for.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/171358-fue-dr-erkan-demirsoy-3033-grafts-turkey-instanbul.html

Edited by B-KW

Not an expert but with the way you're tilting your head its hard to tell whether the diffused area is part of your crown (above safe zone) or below. Rest of donor looks fairly dense but only the doctor can give you a better estimate up close in person. How are your sides though? The doctor might want to use sides after exhausting back donor. Side grafts are not as safe as back but if they arent diffused you will have a much better chance with those grafts surviving long term.

For those 2 options i would definitely not consider 3500 first session. After looking at your avatar picture, it will come nowhere near filling hairline/top/crown all at once (not talking about density here just simple spreading of grafts). with 3500 you would most likely have to leave the crown empty in first session. So if your looking to have work done on crown in 1st session, 4500 would be the way to go IMO. I have a similar hair loss pattern. Check my thread, 3k'ish grafts will barely reach your crown. Your temples need slightly more filling than mines depending on what kind of hairline you opt for.

http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/171358-fue-dr-erkan-demirsoy-3033-grafts-turkey-instanbul.html

Thanks B-KW.

I'm a bit confused as to what is meant by the term "session". Does this mean they can extract 4,500 grafts in the first day and then I can go back again on the second day for the second "session" for another 2,000 grafts?

Or does it mean that 4,500 hairs will be grafted on my first visit and then I can return a year or so later for another "session"?