Sun exposure after HT

Hi all,

I know there are threads about this, but I thought I'd cast a quick line to see if anyone could help ease my paranoia....

I'm now 8 weeks post-op 1000 grafts to my crown. I've been extremely careful, and pretty pleased that no problems developed. I wash concealer out every night, and never have had any other issues....UNTIL NOW!!

This weekend I was outside at a friend's swimming for MAYBE 25 minutes, probably less. I got a very slight sunburn (yes I fry that quickly!) It's nothing bad, but I could tell in the mirror on my shoulders, arms, and yes, CROWN!!

Could this have been my undoing?! It was very slight, and never even hurt. Needless to say it went away quickly as this sun burn/exposure was pretty slight, but I wanted to hear if anyone thought there was anything to do, or at least if this was going to come back to haunt me.

I appreciate the thoughts, do share!!

Thanks!!

Hi mate to affect the grafts it has to be bad sunburn that goes deep into the dermis where your hair follicle is.It sounds like you got a bit of colour on your epidermis which wont affect the follicle . If you didnt have any pain and much redness like you say especially since your 2 months out youll be fine

There are varying opinions as to when the scalp can be exposed to the sun post-op. It does not sound like any damage was done into the dermis layer that was mentioned.

The general rule of thumb is that whenever you will be exposed to the sun's direct harmful UV rays for more than 10 minutes, to wear a hat or a good grade sunblock that will need to be re-applied every several hours.

Perspiration can impact the sunblock's protection however and why wearing a covering is best advised.

Some docs will advise to stay out of direct UV rays for as long as 8-10 months post-op. Others feel 3-4 months is sufficient.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I've heard anywhere from 3-6 months. Gillenator's comments about 8-10 months post-op may be good advice as well. I agree with his "10 minute" comments too!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

It may be that some docs feel that the underlying layer of scalp tissue (dermis) does not heal as quickly as the outer layer (epidermis). The transplanted follicles are seated in the underlying dermis layer where the blood supply exists and the higher degrees of sunburn can negatively affect and/or compromise that blood supply.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY