Sun & Swimming post-HT

Looks like I'm having a 2nd HT at the end of the month...

I'm wondering if it's not entirely stupid to get in some beach time 2-3 weeks post HT. My first procedure was during the spring..so I was 3-4 months post-op last summer. I wore a hat at all times, except to swim for 20-30 minutes at a time (with a high-SPF waterproof sunblock slabbed on my scalp). Everything turned out just fine.

Needless to say, I don't want to do anything that would risk growth...but would be disappointed to miss out on the ideal beach conditions that August brings (the one month here where the ocean water is remotely warm!)

Yeah at least you should wear a hat for sure.

Why risk it too much though? A little patience and waiting, and you will have a thick head of hair at the beach next summer and many more too come...

Anyway, keep the grafts out of the sun and ask your Dr. about swimming and how salt water and might affect your new grafts.

go dense or go home

Unbiased advice and opinions based on 25 plus years of researching and actual experience with hair loss, hair restoration via both FUT & FUE, SMP, scalp issues including scalp eczema & seborrheic dermatitis and many others

HSRP10's favorite FUT surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr Hasson, Dr. Rahal

HSRP10's favorite FUE surgeons: *Dr. Konior, *Dr. Bisanga, Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Couto

(*indicates actual experience with doctor)

If you want to enjoy the summer, maybe re-schedule for the fall where you won't have to worry about the fact that you had a HT.

Personally, I would keep the recipient area out of the sun for a longer period of time than you plan before headed 2-3 weeks after the surgery. You have spent that kind of money looking for a great result...why risk the recipient area at all?

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

I would definitely skip the beach, it isn't going anywhere. Sun exposure should be avoided for months after the transplant. Some doctors say 2-3 months, some say up to 6 months. Also I would not want to submerge my head in salt water that soon post op. Surely the grafts would be anchored, and I may be being overly cautious but I wouldn't want my new grafts submerged in a hypertonic solution like seawater. Your spending a lot of money and putting a lot of energy into this so why risk it.